Canonical Reveals The Aquaris M10 Ubuntu Tablet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by satai View Post
    Cortex-A53 + 2GB RAM? Why can't we get something worth the money?

it's not a high end device. if this tablet works well is a good thing, but i don't see ubuntu unity 8 desktop until next lts in 2018

Comment

Originally posted by andre30correia View Post

it's not a high end device. if this tablet works well is a good thing, but i don't see ubuntu unity 8 desktop until next lts in 2018
      I think it might be an option for 16.10, along with Snappy base, but as default yes probably not until 18.04 LTS or maybe 17.10.

Comment

Originally posted by Cerberus View Post
        At this price level specifications are good, it costs 259.90 EUR. Better to keep price reasonable to reach more people than offer something expensive a portion of users will not be able to afford. I waiting for a converged phone but at this price I will think about getting a tablet too, if it cost 500 EUR I would definitely not buy it.
        RAM is only a small part of the overall cost of the device, the increase would probably be more in the region of 30-40 EUR instead of doubling the cost of the device. If BQ had released a 4GB option at 300 EUR I would definitely pay the extra cash and choose that over the 2GB model.

Comment

MediaTek chipset? nope nope nope.

Comment

Originally posted by Herem View Post
            RAM is only a small part of the overall cost of the device, the increase would probably be more in the region of 30-40 EUR instead of doubling the cost of the device. If BQ had released a 4GB option at 300 EUR I would definitely pay the extra cash and choose that over the 2GB model.
            I would too, but I dont mind 2 GB much if it performs well enough to run X applications I need, I would likely run Chromium, Gthumb, Skype and VLC. For other needs mobile applications work well enough. I am sure I would manage with 2 GB, I ran Ubuntu MATE on a laptop with 2 GB RAM and it worked fine.

Comment

Originally posted by Cerberus View Post

You will probably be able to install other desktop environments, but I doubt convergence will work much with them as everything is developed to integrate with Unity 8, but I may be wrong and it can work or some parts will work. It is an ARM device, running X applications on ARM processor requires XMir, does X11 work at all on ARM?
              XMir is just X11: x.org running on a Mir back end. So, yes, it works and works just swell.

Comment

Originally posted by bregma View Post

XMir is just X11: x.org running on a Mir back end. So, yes, it works and works just swell.
                Then you will be able to play with it, if you mess up the system with too much tinkering you can probably always reflash it to factory, same as with Ubuntu phones.

Comment

X11 is pretty much dead as a technology moving forward. I have to agree with the idea though that running Ubuntu and Unity is less than ideal for a tablet. I'd rather see Enlightenment on it myself

Originally posted by M1kkko View Post
                  Every bit of me as a consumer is saying "meh". But at the same time, as a tinkerer, I'm extremely curious to find out if it ends up being capable of running X11 and some other desktop environment like XFCE. Then it could end up being a pretty fun device to work and play with.
                  Being an iPad owner, one that really likes the device, I'm surprised at just how far away from being a toy a tablet is. As for Linux based tablets what I'm looking for is good ARM based hardware that has a programming environment that gives me good access to I/O hardware. I'm looking for a well supported tablet that doesn't have the limitations iPad has with respect to hardware. To put it more precisely I want access to the USB port and the serial bridge chip of my choice.

Comment

Originally posted by brent View Post
                    MediaTek chipset? nope nope nope.
                    Why, why, why? MediaTek is learning to be a good player in open source and their chips are very economical. It isn't a bad combination really.

Comment

MediaTek is learning/improving? Sorry, that's not my impression at all.

Comment

Working...
                      X