Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cerberus View Post
    does X11 work at all on ARM?
    lol of course. Why shouldn't it? What do you think RaspberryPi's use to display a desktop on Raspbian?

Comment

Plasma 5 on openSUSE seems to use barely more memory than MATE. I'm hoping Unity 8 will be competitive.

Comment

Originally posted by blackout23 View Post

lol of course. Why shouldn't it? What do you think RaspberryPi's use to display a desktop on Raspbian?
        What I meant was does it work natively or some patches or hacks are required.

Comment

Wow, this actually looks quite interesting! Good work Ubuntu!

Comment

If those renderings are true, that's the worst place to put the camera and "home" button. Even the renderings show the OS being used in portrait mode, yet the camera and button are right where your thumbs would be using it like that.

Comment

It probably works decently with 2 GB RAM, just like a desktop with 2 GB RAM can perform well, I dont think anyone expects to run Blender on a converged device, this is only the first device to break the ice, if the concept draws attention I am sure there will be more powerful phones and tablets coming in the future.

Well, Chrome alone uses 2.9GB private memory on my laptop (and that's by unloading unused tabs automatically), so yes, you can have a sensible user experience with 2GB RAM, as long as the user is self-limiting what he does with the computer.

It's a little bit like saying that Saudi Arabia has great Freedom of Speech, as long as you are very careful what you say

Comment

What I meant was does it work natively or some patches or hacks are required.

Wrong question that you are asking. X11 as such works, as it's portable. Now the question what you wonder is, are there sensible (as in stable and having all the relevant extensions for video and GL) X11 servers for Raspbian and how are these created/maintained.

Comment

Originally posted by Daktyl198 View Post
                  If those renderings are true, that's the worst place to put the camera and "home" button. Even the renderings show the OS being used in portrait mode, yet the camera and button are right where your thumbs would be using it like that.
                  Such placement is common for 10.1" tablets as most people tend to use their tablets in landscape mode, OS works in both modes, portait mode is likely less effective for Ubuntu because of the split screen ability to put applications side by side in tablet mode like shown in the picture.

Comment

Originally posted by yacc143 View Post

Well, Chrome alone uses 2.9GB private memory on my laptop (and that's by unloading unused tabs automatically), so yes, you can have a sensible user experience with 2GB RAM, as long as the user is self-limiting what he does with the computer.

It's a little bit like saying that Saudi Arabia has great Freedom of Speech, as long as you are very careful what you say
                    How many tabs do you run? I currently run Chromium with about 15 tabs, Nautilus, Decibel, Skype and Telegram and use 2 GB. Mobile applications that integrate well with Unity 8 are more lightweight, it is likely people will use X applications when there is no mobile equivalent. This is likely an intro device and if users react well we can expect more powerful devices. We will see the performance when they demo the tablet on MWC in a few weeks. At this price level specifications are good, it costs 259.90 EUR. Better to keep price reasonable to reach more people than offer something expensive a portion of users will not be able to afford. I waiting for a converged phone but at this price I will think about getting a tablet too, if it cost 500 EUR I would definitely not buy it.

Comment

Cortex-A53 + 2GB RAM? Why can't we get something worth the money?

Comment

Working...
                      X