Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Daktyl198
    replied
    If those renderings are true, that's the worst place to put the camera and "home" button. Even the renderings show the OS being used in portrait mode, yet the camera and button are right where your thumbs would be using it like that.

Leave a comment:

• Azpegath
    replied
    Wow, this actually looks quite interesting! Good work Ubuntu!

Leave a comment:

• Cerberus
    replied
    Originally posted by blackout23 View Post

lol of course. Why shouldn't it? What do you think RaspberryPi's use to display a desktop on Raspbian?
    What I meant was does it work natively or some patches or hacks are required.

Leave a comment:

• imperfectlink
    replied
    Plasma 5 on openSUSE seems to use barely more memory than MATE. I'm hoping Unity 8 will be competitive.

Leave a comment:

• blackout23
    replied
    Originally posted by Cerberus View Post
    does X11 work at all on ARM?
    lol of course. Why shouldn't it? What do you think RaspberryPi's use to display a desktop on Raspbian?

Leave a comment:

• Cerberus
    replied
    Originally posted by imperfectlink View Post
    This is suggesting that Unity 8 is more memory efficient than Unity 7 (and Android?).
    X applications can be heavy regardless of how much Unity 8 uses, but I doubt anyone expects to run 10 X applications at once on a mobile device. Same restrictions probably apply as with desktops that have 2 GB RAM, dont overdo it. I saw a demo of several X applications plus mobile applications on a desktop with 2 GB RAM, it worked fine.

Leave a comment:

• imperfectlink
    replied
    This is suggesting that Unity 8 is more memory efficient than Unity 7 (and Android?).

Leave a comment:

• Cerberus
    replied
    Originally posted by M1kkko View Post
    Every bit of me as a consumer is saying "meh". But at the same time, as a tinkerer, I'm extremely curious to find out if it ends up being capable of running X11 and some other desktop environment like XFCE. Then it could end up being a pretty fun device to work and play with.
    You will probably be able to install other desktop environments, but I doubt convergence will work much with them as everything is developed to integrate with Unity 8, but I may be wrong and it can work or some parts will work. It is an ARM device, running X applications on ARM processor requires XMir, does X11 work at all on ARM?

Leave a comment:

• M1kkko
    replied
    Every bit of me as a consumer is saying "meh". But at the same time, as a tinkerer, I'm extremely curious to find out if it ends up being capable of running X11 and some other desktop environment like XFCE. Then it could end up being a pretty fun device to work and play with.

Leave a comment:

• Cerberus
    replied
    Originally posted by Herem View Post
    If it is being touted as a convergence device it's a bit disappointing that the device only has 2GB of RAM. I would have liked to see the device come with 4GB RAM standard or at least had it as an option.
    It probably works decently with 2 GB RAM, just like a desktop with 2 GB RAM can perform well, I dont think anyone expects to run Blender on a converged device, this is only the first device to break the ice, if the concept draws attention I am sure there will be more powerful phones and tablets coming in the future.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X