• Gapil301
    replied
    Ubuntu and unity in a low end tablet with x.org running on a Mir back end

NOPE, NOPE, NOPE AND NOPE

Leave a comment:

• liam
    replied
    Originally posted by chithanh View Post
    Mediatek have now submitted code for several SoCs like the Helio X10 (MT6795) in the mainline kernel.

Though I don't think this is because they wanted to. It is probably rather because Google made them to. The next round of ARM Chromebooks will be Mediatek based.
    That's not the only problem. They've made heavy changes to the kernel that they advertise as proprietary... And I've not been able to give any repos for it.
    Providing drm drivers is kind of the bare minimum which nearly all, if not all, soc manufacturers provide.

Leave a comment:

• Cerberus
    replied
    Originally posted by M1kkko View Post

X11 support is a matter of having proper GPU drivers (or a libhybris-like software bridge that enables the use of android GPU drivers), not a matter of processor architecture, as X11 can be compiled for plenty of architectures and is also bundled with many Linux distributions that have ARM support.

Mir uses that library so it probably can be reused unless it is patched to work with Mir, that would require adjustments.

Leave a comment:

• M1kkko
    replied
    Originally posted by Cerberus View Post
    It is an ARM device, running X applications on ARM processor requires XMir, does X11 work at all on ARM?
    X11 support is a matter of having proper GPU drivers (or a libhybris-like software bridge that enables the use of android GPU drivers), not a matter of processor architecture, as X11 can be compiled for plenty of architectures and is also bundled with many Linux distributions that have ARM support.

Leave a comment:

• chithanh
    replied
    Originally posted by brent View Post
    MediaTek is learning/improving? Sorry, that's not my impression at all.
    Mediatek have now submitted code for several SoCs like the Helio X10 (MT6795) in the mainline kernel.

Though I don't think this is because they wanted to. It is probably rather because Google made them to. The next round of ARM Chromebooks will be Mediatek based.

Leave a comment:

• brent
    replied
    MediaTek is learning/improving? Sorry, that's not my impression at all.

Leave a comment:

• wizard69
    replied
    Originally posted by brent View Post
    MediaTek chipset? nope nope nope.
    Why, why, why? MediaTek is learning to be a good player in open source and their chips are very economical. It isn't a bad combination really.

Leave a comment:

• wizard69
    replied
    X11 is pretty much dead as a technology moving forward. I have to agree with the idea though that running Ubuntu and Unity is less than ideal for a tablet. I'd rather see Enlightenment on it myself

Originally posted by M1kkko View Post
    Every bit of me as a consumer is saying "meh". But at the same time, as a tinkerer, I'm extremely curious to find out if it ends up being capable of running X11 and some other desktop environment like XFCE. Then it could end up being a pretty fun device to work and play with.
    Being an iPad owner, one that really likes the device, I'm surprised at just how far away from being a toy a tablet is. As for Linux based tablets what I'm looking for is good ARM based hardware that has a programming environment that gives me good access to I/O hardware. I'm looking for a well supported tablet that doesn't have the limitations iPad has with respect to hardware. To put it more precisely I want access to the USB port and the serial bridge chip of my choice.

Leave a comment:

• Cerberus
    replied
    Originally posted by bregma View Post

XMir is just X11: x.org running on a Mir back end. So, yes, it works and works just swell.
    Then you will be able to play with it, if you mess up the system with too much tinkering you can probably always reflash it to factory, same as with Ubuntu phones.

Leave a comment:

• bregma
    replied
    Originally posted by Cerberus View Post

You will probably be able to install other desktop environments, but I doubt convergence will work much with them as everything is developed to integrate with Unity 8, but I may be wrong and it can work or some parts will work. It is an ARM device, running X applications on ARM processor requires XMir, does X11 work at all on ARM?
    XMir is just X11: x.org running on a Mir back end. So, yes, it works and works just swell.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X