No announcement yet.

Ubuntu Phone OTA-9 Makes Available New Features, Finally Has Custom Ringtones

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu Phone OTA-9 Makes Available New Features, Finally Has Custom Ringtones

Phoronix: Ubuntu Phone OTA-9 Makes Available New Features, Finally Has Custom Ringtones

Ubuntu Phone OTA-9 has begun rolling out to owners of Ubuntu Phones. This is yet another big feature update but plenty of bug fixing...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I'm guessing they're trying to mimic iPhone's recipe, which for the first few generations lacked basic functionality like Copy/Paste (I think to this day it's still missing Cut). </sarcasm>

Comment

The speed at which OTA updates are being released is very impressive given the number of fixes and enhancements implemented in each one and by all accounts the stability of each release.

The software is getting close to the point at which I'm considering picking up an Ubuntu Touch phone, the only things I'm really waiting for are for convergence to become a reality and a high end device (along the lines of the Ubuntu Edge) to run it on.

Comment

I use it on my Nexus 4 and last time I tried, the convergence "kinda" worked on the stable release, but it had issues going back to the normal phone GUI when you disconnected the Slimport cable.

Additionally, it has a few annoying quirks, like the left menu bar disappearing and requiring a reboot if you've got the music app open when you put the phone to sleep.

However, the battery life is better than it did with Android and it's no slouch. The other missing features I can live without until convergence starts working.

Comment

Ubuntu Phone is the only mobile OS less relevant than Windows.
          Stop reporting about it: there are more interesting news about "ls and cp".

Comment

Originally posted by SteveWi View Post
            I use it on my Nexus 4 and last time I tried, the convergence "kinda" worked on the stable release, but it had issues going back to the normal phone GUI when you disconnected the Slimport cable.

Additionally, it has a few annoying quirks, like the left menu bar disappearing and requiring a reboot if you've got the music app open when you put the phone to sleep.

However, the battery life is better than it did with Android and it's no slouch. The other missing features I can live without until convergence starts working.
            By the sounds of it there are a number of convergence fixes as well as a big Mir update in OTA-9.5 which is due to be released around the 10th February. If you get the chance to try it out, it would be interesting to find out if these resolve some or all of your problems.

Comment

Originally posted by Uqbar View Post
              The title of this site, according to the HTML code: " Linux Hardware Reviews, Open-Source Benchmarks & Linux Performance - Phoronix"

Last time I checked, Ubuntu was a Linux distro. How is it not relevant to this site? And if we only care about relevance, why even have Phoronix in the first place? On the desktop, it's still considerably less relevant (using your apparent definition of "relevance" by marketshare) than Windows or Mac OS X.

Comment

Originally posted by Uqbar View Post
                I loled so hard... Thanks.

Comment

this new upgrade improves the performance, they are doing a good job

Comment

Update is very very nice, scopes now refresh much better, design is improved and many other small things. Convergence will be demonstrated on MWC 2016, I think soon Ubuntu Touch will be ready for prime time, hopefully popular applications like WhatsApp and Viber will arrive then, most people dont need much beyond those popular messengers, browser, music player, navigation etc is already here and working well.

Comment

Working...
                    X