Ubuntu Phone OTA-9 Makes Available New Features, Finally Has Custom Ringtones

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Uqbar View Post

Based on a modified Linux kernel. The kernel an operating system does not make.
    Good luck operating a computer without any userland or even a bootloader.

Comment

Originally posted by unixfan2001 View Post

Based on a modified Linux kernel. The kernel an operating system does not make.
      Good luck operating a computer without any userland or even a bootloader.
      You clearly know about Android more than anyone else. Even more than Google and mr. Kondik.
      But this is OK. We're lucky to have people like you here. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Uqbar View Post
        You clearly know about Android more than anyone else. Even more than Google and mr. Kondik.
        But this is OK. We're lucky to have people like you here. Thanks.
        I never said I was an expert about Android. But I do know enough about software engineering to recognise that Android isn't GNU/Linux. For one, it doesn't even have freaking GNU in it. It's a completely different userland and you'll be hard pressed to run the most common GNU/Linux software on an Android device. Libraries are also different. Even the libc is different (glibc vs Bionic). The display server is also completely different and porting Android's Surfaceflinger to GNU/Linux would've been a pain, hence the need for Wayland/Mir.
        Lastly, Google engineers such as Patrick Brady clearly state that Android is not Linux (and certainly not GNU/Linux) in the sense of a Unix like distro.

Nice attempt at argument from authority though. Kudos...

Comment

@Unixfan2001: I think most of us can agree that an operating system that contains few/no GNU software cannot be said to be GNU/Linux. Uqbar may be the only one here who doesn't get it, but he obviously doesn't care. You're preaching to a choir.

@Uqbar: You're contributing nothing of relevance anymore and you have no basis to insult the other members of this forum.

Get on with your life.

Comment

So I tried to flash OTA-9 again on E5 and it's still extremely slow and laggy. Even the first list - selection of languages is unusable. Nothing really runs at that moment and still it's not possible to scroll smoothly. I used the phone as test bed for Ubuntu Phone, Plasma Mobile and Android to see when one of these becomes usable but even Lollipop runs smoothly on the hardware. But I still believe they fix it one day . At the current state of Android's usability I need another option as BB10 died...

Comment

Working...
            X