Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Android-x86 4.4-r4 Has Mesa Fix, UEFI ISO Support

Phoronix: Android-x86 4.4-r4 Has Mesa Fix, UEFI ISO Support

The Android-x86 project has announced their fourth stable release of Android KitKat for Intel/AMD architectures and this may be their last release for this branch...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I've no interest in running Android, on the desktop, on its own, but see great value in being able to run its apps side by side native ones. Android had especially strong sharing features, along with an enormous app collection.
    I really don't understand why you couldn't have the two runtimes working at the same time....

Comment

A stunningly useful project. I give it a small 10gb partition on my SSD, and have easy access to my large Android ecosystem. (Do I wish I had the same ecosystem on Ubuntu and could converge? Yes, yes I do.) Android x86 supports hardware acceleration and also runs OpenGL games very well. It even recognizes my gamepads out of the box.

They guys are doing a superb job in pushing Android to not just work on x86, but also support the de facto standards of the PC architecture: GPUs, UEFI, peripherals, etc.

Comment

This project is really cool, but does anyone have any experience putting this thing on tablets?

For instance, ASUS complies with the Linux GPL so their sources are publicly available, if you wanted to run Android-x86 could you compile their kernel with the neccessary drivers from the ASUS kernel?

Comment

Hmm, i already upgraded to Android 5, i didnt expected new 4.4 release, they should do better job in communication with users.

Comment

Working...
          X