Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How The Two Most Popular Laptops On Amazon Run With Ubuntu Linux

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • How The Two Most Popular Laptops On Amazon Run With Ubuntu Linux

    Phoronix: How The Two Most Popular Laptops On Amazon Run With Ubuntu Linux

    At the time of writing, the most popular laptop on Amazon.com in the US is the Toshiba Satellite C55-C5241 followed by the ASUS F555LA-AB31. If you are in the market for a new, sub-$500 laptop this holiday season, here are my findings when testing both of these popular laptops under Ubuntu Linux.

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=22563

  • #2
    How do laptops with 1366x768 screens still exist let alone are still produced?

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by peppercats View Post
      How do laptops with 1366x768 screens still exist let alone are still produced?
      Since most people doesn't need anything else and the screens are cheap also it's about power consumsion.
      1080 screens with good power consumption should be cheaper pretty soon and then people will say why are non 4k laptops being sold.

      Comment


      • #4
        Laptop makers, at least in the low end market, will put the very minimum in the machine to convince people to buy their product. If 1366x768 screes still exist, is because most buyers don't care. But that is not the case for everybody, so at last today we have more options in screen resolution than 5 years ago.

        I consider 1920x1080 to be the minimum, since it permites side by side programs (like a browser and a office suite) with reasonable comfort. I have seen a Asus laptop with a 11,6" screen at 1080p and didn't find any problems with text being too small, so a 13,3, 14 or 15 inch screen can go to 2560x1440 without much problems, at least to me.

        The funny thing about cheap laptops is that Intel spent all the billions to launch low power CPUs, but we won't got much improvement in battery time because the bastards started to use smaller ones, since they are cheaper an improve their profit margin...

        Comment


        • #5
          1366x768 on 15.6" and a HDD.
          I guess you need to apply "natural AA" by taking off your glasses, the font sure is big enough at this resolution. And you can take the 50min boot time with the HDD to do that.
          It does however explain so many poor designs in everything technology, the average buyer is an idiot

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by M@GOid View Post
            I consider 1920x1080 to be the minimum, since it permites side by side programs (like a browser and a office suite) with reasonable comfort. I have seen a Asus laptop with a 11,6" screen at 1080p and didn't find any problems with text being too small, so a 13,3, 14 or 15 inch screen can go to 2560x1440 without much problems, at least to me.
            Just keep watching the porn, that will change with time.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by user82 View Post
              1366x768 on 15.6" and a HDD.
              I guess you need to apply "natural AA" by taking off your glasses, the font sure is big enough at this resolution. And you can take the 50min boot time with the HDD to do that.
              It does however explain so many poor designs in everything technology, the average buyer is an idiot
              The average buyer needs an internet / office / facebook-game machine, at best price.
              So half of laptop sold are 1366x768 on 15.6" and a HDD. Why would they care for an i7, 4k screen or 1s boot?

              This is not stupidity, this is market fit.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Slartifartblast View Post

                Just keep watching the porn, that will change with time.
                I don't watch porn with subtitles...

                Comment


                • #9
                  I often refer to 1366x768 as the "resolution from hell".

                  It is not published in any video standard that I am aware of (VESA, CEA, ITU, SMPTE). Consequently it is difficult to ensure compatibility between products.

                  1366 does not divide evenly by 4, let alone 16 (think macroblocks). And 1366x768 is not an exact 16:9 aspect ratio.

                  A year or two back I was searching for more information about 1366x768 and found only this:
                  http://hd1080i.blogspot.co.uk/2006/1...-problems.html
                  Last edited by lostdistance; 12-17-2015, 12:30 PM.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I wonder who will buy a Linux laptop. It's usually cheaper to buy a laptop with Windows then install Linux on it.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X