Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Test Release Of Android-x86 Now Available

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • New Test Release Of Android-x86 Now Available

    Phoronix: New Test Release Of Android-x86 Now Available

    For those with some spare x86 tablet/mobile hardware around, a new test build of Android-x86 is out in the wild...

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...d-x86-20151128

  • #2
    Just a testing release.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by phoronix View Post
      For those with some spare x86 tablet/mobile hardware around
      You do not need a tablet or a device with touch to enjoy Android-x86! I run it on my cheap touchless netbook, and it's an amazing way to have access to various Android apps on the go. Lots of games work great, too, as Android-x86 supports GPU acceleration. Game controllers work out of the box, too! Boots faster than Xubuntu (my "usual" OS) too.

      It's a terrific project! They have turned Android into a full member of the family of Linux desktop distros by including a richer Linux base than what most Android OSes include, including UEFI and 64-bit platforms. You can try it today just by booting live from a USB drive.

      (Quibble: the problem is that too many games support touch only. For those, the mousepad just won't work. I hope they find a way to include built-in touch emulation.)

      Comment


      • #4
        Hmm, i cant now unlock screen after upgrade from 4.4-RC3 to 5.1-rc1, because swipe detection is broken for my Thinkpad E130.

        Comment


        • #5
          Think you can even install it in vbox as well if you want to have Android on your desktop

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by ruthan View Post
            Hmm, i cant now unlock screen after upgrade from 4.4-RC3 to 5.1-rc1, because swipe detection is broken for my Thinkpad E130.
            Bug report time then if they take bug reports

            Comment


            • #7
              I run a virtual Android-x86 in KVM with virt-manager and a shared NFS mount. Works brilliant. What would be awesome though is QEMU tablet mouse support and virgl 3d acceleration.

              Comment


              • #8
                I've tried it several times - it works pretty well booted from Live but I can't get it boot after installation. Google shows me, it's not an unusual issue. Any one solved this? I tried all combinations installer offers as some people suggested some options made it for them but...

                Comment


                • #9
                  Hi all.

                  Chih-Wei is giving a talk on OS2ATC 2015 in China.

                  He's built a marshmallow testing ISO and posted on sourceforge. However, he used his local repo, which will be pushed upstream soon.


                  # reference
                  https://groups.google.com/forum/#!to...86/Bpis-4r9Pq8


                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by emblemparade View Post

                    You do not need a tablet or a device with touch to enjoy Android-x86! I run it on my cheap touchless netbook, and it's an amazing way to have access to various Android apps on the go. Lots of games work great, too, as Android-x86 supports GPU acceleration. Game controllers work out of the box, too! Boots faster than Xubuntu (my "usual" OS) too.

                    It's a terrific project! They have turned Android into a full member of the family of Linux desktop distros by including a richer Linux base than what most Android OSes include, including UEFI and 64-bit platforms. You can try it today just by booting live from a USB drive.

                    (Quibble: the problem is that too many games support touch only. For those, the mousepad just won't work. I hope they find a way to include built-in touch emulation.)
                    64bit came out of AOSP, not android-x86. AOSP has been 64bit since 5.0, which was required for Nexus 9.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X