Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Porting HTML5 Mobile Games To Ubuntu Phone

Phoronix: Porting HTML5 Mobile Games To Ubuntu Phone

With Ubuntu Phone reviews frequently pointing out the lack of games/apps for Ubuntu Phone compared to other platforms, Ubuntu developers have been working on porting more HTML5 mobile games over to Ubuntu Phone...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...rt-HTML5-Games

Stupid question, why could they not just run it in browser? Is it just the convenience of having a shortcut on the homescreen?

Comment

Originally posted by kaprikawn View Post
      Stupid question, why could they not just run it in browser? Is it just the convenience of having a shortcut on the homescreen?
      Probably because they can't claim it's "for Ubuntu Phone" then. Still stupid, I know, but that's the only explanation I can think of.

Comment

Technically it is running the game in a contained browser. Having an app in a click package is certainly a convenience. There's also the security that the app (or in this case game) is confined by apparmor, so it can't do anything nefarious like get your contacts and upload them to a 3rd party website.

Comment

The avarage phone user doesn't know about webapps and web games. If it isn't in the store it doesn't exist and it's the platforms fault.

Comment

more easy going to store see a game and install, if it works no one cares if it is a web app or a native app

Comment

I don't think it's a stupid question. I think they want to have games packaged for Ubuntu Phone so they can claim they have lots of (so-called) native applications.

But really, I'd prefer if most applications you use on a smart phone are independent web apps.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael_S View Post

I don't think it's a stupid question. I think they want to have games packaged for Ubuntu Phone so they can claim they have lots of (so-called) native applications.
                Nah, we're not going to start re-branding simple webapps, or locall offline HTML5 apps/games as "native", despite some of them looking like they are. I just want more games, that's all, that's the only reason I did this. Detailing how it's done means others can do the same. I've ported a bunch, now others can see it's easy to do, and can do the same. No subterfuge, just games.

Comment

Working...
                X