Android M Should Bring Greater Performance & Efficiency

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by johnc View Post
    Does Android even ship with fat32 anymore? I thought they dumped that a couple of releases ago.
    Last I checked, the kernel still had vfat. Kinda necessary for id10t's who use removable media (i.e., usb sticks) and aren't smart enough to use a free filesystem format.

What they AREN'T doing, is actually formatting any internal storage with vfat. Some manufacturers for a period of time had dual internal storage, one was usually yaffs2 for system/userdata, the second was an eMMC formatted vfat and mounted as if it was an sdcard.

What they did, is they changed to a single eMMC device using ext4. The "sdcard" became just a directory within the userdata partition, that was remounted with a special permission flattening FUSE filesystem to where the sdcard used to be.

The other change was for the remote-storage-access. It used to be that with an sdcard or fake-sdcard (soldered onto mainboard), you could unmount that filesystem and offer it to another computer over UMS. Again, for id10t's who weren't smart enough to add filesystem drivers to their mswondoze, this limited you to vfat. Now it is using MTP/PTP, which means, of course, no more unmounting the sdcard filesystem from the phone, rather it allows the filesystem to be sort-of shared. Frankly, I would have been a LOT happier with SFTP. They could have even set up a special driver that handled authentication automatically.

Comment

Originally posted by droidhacker View Post

Stop running software that comes from china. That problem is 100% your own doing.

I am sorry 'droidhacker' but apparently you are severely uneducated about the subject. The fact that 'Android OS process (not an application)' leaks and uses up to 1.2 GB RAM must not happen in any way if the OS was properly. Please stop spreading your uneducated, ignorant fanboyism over a great community like android and go spend your time actually getting knowledge about programming and operating systems design. Or even better, go be an 'applehacker' and type your lame comments on that already lame community.

Kids these days...

Anyways, aside from that uneducated basement kid that simply went to my block list to filter the trash, Android M seems to have fixed the problem as there are no leaks in the system so far. Anybody who suffers marginal performance loss over 1-day usage should update to M. Dev. preview does not seem to have any major problems for me, all applications work fine.
      Last edited by the303; 02 June 2015, 08:41 AM.

Comment

Working...
      X