No announcement yet.

Splashtop on USB stick

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I had the same problem until I found out that only 1 or 2 USB connectors work to boot it. Still don't know why that is, did you try all?

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
      I had the same problem until I found out that only 1 or 2 USB connectors work to boot it. Still don't know why that is, did you try all?
      Yes, I have tried all USB ports. It only boots on one of my USB ports. But I can't launch any of the applications. It sticks on the black screen which says 'Asus Express Gate - Powered by Splashtop'. After about a minute, my Scroll and Num Lock lights on the keyboard starts to blink. I have tried the HD installation and it does the same thing.

I injected grub into the image and it boots using QEMU. It passes the 'Asus Express Gate - Powered by Splashtop' screen I mention above. I was able to configure it using the wizard. However, I still can't launch any applications. Nothing happens when I click the symbolic links.

What is causing these problems?

Comment

Well qemu is too slow for me, therefore I use Vbox. I have made addon sqx files which add network support - they just load extra drivers. Another way to start it on real hardware is to use the exe installer inside Win. As i guess that you already have got Linux on your hd you could simply copy the ce_bz file onto your linux partition and load that as kernel with your current grub. Then you dont need usb boot - one system does not work that way but i can start the kernel from hd + usb stick attached.

Comment

Well qemu is too slow for me, therefore I use Vbox. I have made addon sqx files which add network support - they just load extra drivers. Another way to start it on real hardware is to use the exe installer inside Win. As i guess that you already have got Linux on your hd you could simply copy the ce_bz file onto your linux partition and load that as kernel with your current grub. Then you dont need usb boot - one system does not work that way but i can start the kernel from hd + usb stick attached.
          It now works in Vbox(I only discovered Vbox about 1 mth ago - it has since become my favorite virtualization package) for me. I used the VMware harddisk image. I can launch firefox, skype and the rest of the applications.

Unfortunately, I still can't get it to work on real hardware. I used the .exe to install it in Windows. Then I used grub4dos to boot it(no USB drive attached);

title Splashtop
          kernel (hd0,0)/boot/ce_bz

Still I can't get it launch any applications. It sticks at 'Asus Express Gate - Powered by Splashtop'.

Reasons?

Comment

Is your hd in AHCI mode? Then this would not work.

Comment

Is your hd in AHCI mode? Then this would not work.
              I know it does not work in AHCI mode. I discovered that whilst playing around with it. I have since change my hd mode to IDE. Still, nothing!

Comment

Well of course thats an unoffical way, vbox works good however and 2 boards could boot it - one directy from stick, one from stick but kernel on hd. Saidly no board could boot it with the Win installer - only Vbox can boot everything

Comment

u guys rock, keep on the cutting edge of things, your in front leading the way! couple ? i have splashtop lite MB, can't get addin usb or pci wifie card to work i heard a LINKSYS WUSB600N IEEE 802.11a/b/g would work,, usb starts to work blinks once,, then nothing,, i have a new satadom on order to load on that,, dont want windows to load do you no how to take off os icon,, i removed the skyp .sqk file because i dont want it to load but then you get the incomplete install screen,,, the pdf reader would be a great add on,,, thanks for any help

Comment

Removing apps is not problem as long as you reset the version file:

Code:
                    dd of=$INPUT/version bs=1 seek=32 count=0
                    inside your ASUS.SYS dir. Wifi seems to be really special, there are only very few drivers inside. Compiling new drivers could be a bit problematic but did not try yet.

Comment

Originally posted by trid View Post
                      can't get addin usb or pci wifie card to work i heard a LINKSYS WUSB600N IEEE 802.11a/b/g would work,, usb starts to work blinks once,, then nothing,,
                      The number of drivers included is very limited, not much more than necessary to target Asus motherboards that have express gate. If you know the driver you need, and it doesn't require a re-compiled kernel, you might be able to get it working by compiling it against the 2.6.20.11 kernel (which you can get from kernel.org) and insmodding it as per Kano's tips.

I'm trying to get Intel iwlwifi working, since a lot of notebooks have intel wireless, but so far have not been able to. Wireless seems more tricky because older kernels often need to be patched and recompiled for some drivers to work. I might try ipw3945 if iwlwifi doesn't work, but that will support fewer cards.

One option for wireless is to use wired ethernet connected to an external wireless bridge (like the Dlink DWL-G730AP), but that starts to defeat the instant-access characteristic of splashtop.
                      Last edited by drosky; 31 July 2008, 04:59 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X