Splashtop on USB stick

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you want to use the same compiler you could use this:

Fetch sources to get the uses kernel patches + config. Link you will find here:

The used kernel (do not change extra version) was:

But: In the sources link you get from Wikipedia is a major error in the kernel config, you have to change:

Code:
    # CONFIG_MODULE_UNLOAD is not set
    to

Code:
    CONFIG_MODULE_UNLOAD=y
    Edit: I really hate when I have to use modinfo to see that it is _impossible_ that the kernel config was used.
    Last edited by Kano; 01 August 2008, 03:17 PM.

Comment

Wow, Kano you are a genius. I am having a problem though. I couldnt find the image on Asus's site, but I did find the windows installer, so I ran that on my windows computer, but I can't figure out how to make my flash drive bootable.

Comment

Well the windows installer can be used too, as I worte several times, just copy over the ASUS.SYS/ce_bz kernel image to your linux partition (in this example in the boot dir) and boot it with any installed grub on your system - replace X,Y to match other entries for your kernels.

title Test
        kernel (hdX,Y)/boot/ce_bz

Comment

I'm sorry, I guess this is a n00b question, but what size should the partitions be? I don't completely understand your scripts.

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
            Edit: I really hate when I have to use modinfo to see that it is _impossible_ that the kernel config was used.
            So we don't know if the error you found is the only error in the kernel config? I guess we also don't know if Asus made any additional changes to the kernel from Splashtop, for example they may have had to add the drivers for the wifi boards.

I guess the only way is to just try to compile the kernel with the config (with your fix) and patches from splashtop and see if it works in express gate.

Comment

The patches are included in the sources. Just download and apply em. Asus did add nothing, maybe they gave em a few pictures

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
                The patches are included in the sources. Just download and apply em. Asus did add nothing, maybe they gave em a few pictures
                Now hurry up and figure out how to add XMBC

Comment

No need, my Xbox 1 has it already

Comment

hi all (scuse my bad english - I'm french)

so you rock.

Splashtop now work on my desktop, but not on my laptop. It's an eeePC 701 with supported wifi card so it would be great to have splashtop on it

you can see here an eeePC running splashtop found on splashtop blog (with ethernet - no wifi):
                    I wanted to watch some TV using Splashtop. Check it out.

On the splashtop release note, supported wifi are :
                    * Atheros WiFi: madwifi-ng-r2756-ar5007
                    * Ralink WiFi (AW-NA830): RT2870_1.2.1.0

eeePC seems to connect with this revision (not tested, I use r3366 but before this revision, eeePC owners used r2756 according to Google)

The eeePC seems the perfect laptop for running splashtop.

So, I use the same USB dongle which work on my desktop computer (no problem with it) and making the key with your script. I test on each USB port, with add it to grub menu.lst (after copy kernel on (hd0,0)/boot without success.
                    Loading ce_bz is ok (on USB key with syslinux or hd0 and grub entries)
                    When I try to boot, I've got a blinking screen white - text cursor - white - text cursor ...
                    I tried with v1.2.3.1_20080605 version.

It's look like X fails again and again.

any hints or ideas ?

Comment

Help with latest version of splashtop

Let me start by giving Kudos to Kano for getting this working. Kano u da man! I have a p5q-e and (like others) was disappointed to find that it didn't have the SSD version of Express gate. I used the Kano script to dd the IMG (the one asus calls ExpressGate(ONBOARD) to a USB drive and it works great. I can enable express gate in the BIOS and boot from the usb drive and everything works. Thanks again Kano.

I downloaded the latest SSD (ST_ASUSEG00_256MB_v1.2.4.0_20080611.DFI) which as you can see comes as a DFI. So I did like Kano said and cp it to a .IMG.gz and then gunziped it. However when I try to use the same script that worked before I get the following.

[root]# ./splashtop
                      set -x on
                      DEVICE="/dev/sda"
                      + DEVICE=/dev/sda
                      IMAGE="ST_ASUSEG00_256MB_v1.2.4.0_20080611.IMG"
                      + IMAGE=ST_ASUSEG00_256MB_v1.2.4.0_20080611.IMG
                      offset=$(($(sfdisk -d $IMAGE|grep start=|head -n1|sed 's/.*start=\s*//;s/,.*//')*512))
                      sfdisk -d $IMAGE|grep start=|head -n1|sed 's/.*start=\s*//;s/,.*//'
                      ++ sfdisk -d ST_ASUSEG00_256MB_v1.2.4.0_20080611.IMG
                      last_lba(): I don't know how to handle files with mode 816d

sfdisk: ERROR: sector 0 does not have an msdos signature
                      ++ grep start=
                      ++ head -n1
                      ++ sed 's/.*start=\s*//;s/,.*//'
                      ./splashtop: line 6: *512: syntax error: operand expected (error token is "*512")

Is there anyway to fix this problem?

Thanks again for making my P5Q-E board an upgrade (atleast it is to me)

Comment

Working...
                      X