X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cobra-kai
    replied
    NTFS success

Thank you for the addition of the HD installation tips, Kano. I had no luck installing on a FAT32 HD partition. I'll try it again some time, but it seemed the machine froze on the Express Gate splash screen. I never understood how GRUB was intended to be invoked anyway, isn't the BIOS part of Express Gate responsible for loading the kernel? Instead, I reformatted the partition to NTFS and stripped out the GRUB code from your script, as you suggested. That worked perfectly. It's weird though, that it takes much longer for SplashTop to load when I run it from the HD than it did when I ran it from a USB stick. I wonder why.

Leave a comment:

• Kano
    replied
    You can start that within Win and use Grub4Dos or Grub2 for starting the ce_bz fake kernel. Basically it would be possible to create a IMG - thats nothing special just that all files are in / in a FAT16 partition named DVMUSB in a 255 MB hd image - the Win installer splits em into ASUS.SYS and ASUS.000.

Leave a comment:

• calin
    replied
    Kano thanks for you help.
    It's possible to use Express Gate installer that contains ST_ASUSEG00_HD_v1.2.8.0_20080709.EXE? How can I convert it to a IMG file?

Thanks

Leave a comment:

• Kano
    replied
    I guess you used a too new squashfs version. Kanotix works best do do that

Leave a comment:

• x20mar
    replied
    Hi Kano,

I managed to modify and compress the sqx file but now splashtop won't boot! It will get as far as the menu screen but after I click on an app (say web browser) it goes to the Express gate boot screen and then it hangs with the caps lock key flashing.

Any suggestions (I think it's something to do with the check sum)

Thanks

Leave a comment:

• Kano
    replied
    I guess you mean how i compressed it? To edit use

unsquashfs -d va-ipw3945 va-ipw3945.sqx

change the file, then

mkquashfs va-ipw3945 va-ipw3945.sqx -noappend

(when you remove the sqx you don't need to remember -noappend)

Leave a comment:

• x20mar
    replied
    Originally posted by Kano View Post
    If thats all you can modify the va-ipw3945.sqx - in the vactl file.
    Hi Kano,

stupid question but when you're compiling the sqx file, what settings do you use?

ps good on you for finding that security hole!

Leave a comment:

• Kano
    replied
    If thats all you can modify the va-ipw3945.sqx - in the vactl file.

Leave a comment:

• x20mar
    replied
    Originally posted by Kano View Post
    @x20mar

I compiled it with a patched kernel (to get mac80211), can only verify that the modules is loaded but without hardware I can not test it. I compiled the driver for AVM FritzWLAN too and that worked - even ndiswrapper worked for some people but I guess that wont work with Intel drivers, because there you usually need a kernel patch to use a huger stack size. If you can use ndiswrapper with an unpatched kernel you could try it however.

Did you try

iwlist s

in console (ALT-F1)?

ifconfig wlan0 up

could help too. If it is not wlan0 you need to customize the va-custom.sqx (there the wlan device is set, which defaults to ra0 without).

@calin

You should save the script in a text file and edit the DEVICE line only.
    Hi Kano,

yeah ifconfig wlan0 up does the trick, what's the easiest way to add that line on boot?

Thanks!

Leave a comment:

• Kano
    replied
    @x20mar

I compiled it with a patched kernel (to get mac80211), can only verify that the modules is loaded but without hardware I can not test it. I compiled the driver for AVM FritzWLAN too and that worked - even ndiswrapper worked for some people but I guess that wont work with Intel drivers, because there you usually need a kernel patch to use a huger stack size. If you can use ndiswrapper with an unpatched kernel you could try it however.

Did you try

iwlist s

in console (ALT-F1)?

ifconfig wlan0 up

could help too. If it is not wlan0 you need to customize the va-custom.sqx (there the wlan device is set, which defaults to ra0 without).

@calin

You should save the script in a text file and edit the DEVICE line only.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X