No announcement yet.

Hacking Express gate (Asus Splashtop)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've gotten my P5Q (plain) this week and started to play around with ExpressGate myself. Rather by surprise I found out, that the ExpressGate files can also by installed on a USB stick. It even works with AHCI installed, but as a downside only one of the 8 sticks I tried worked properly and even this one only work if the neighbor USB socket is unused. So my conclusion is, that this might be a timing problem. Anyone got an idea on how to display the startup messages of the linux kernel instead of the splash screen, to see where it locks up?

Comment

Originally posted by SvOlli View Post
      I've gotten my P5Q (plain) this week and started to play around with ExpressGate myself. Rather by surprise I found out, that the ExpressGate files can also by installed on a USB stick. It even works with AHCI installed, but as a downside only one of the 8 sticks I tried worked properly and even this one only work if the neighbor USB socket is unused. So my conclusion is, that this might be a timing problem. Anyone got an idea on how to display the startup messages of the linux kernel instead of the splash screen, to see where it locks up?
      Can you start it directly from you BIOS to boot from USB? I think you could do if you bios has that cefull embedded - ce_bz has got only a kernel header, like i wrote here:

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
        Can you start it directly from you BIOS to boot from USB?
        Yes I can. It's using the stick just like a harddisk, except that it doesn't care about the AHCI/IDE issue. Otherwise it behaves exactly like the harddisk solution. The downside is, that only one USB stick works properly. The other seven I tried display the menu, and if I select to start ExpressGate from there, I'll get the black "powered by SplashTop" booting screen and nothing more happens.

The USB also has the advantage, that you can modify the data on another computer, so it's ideal for hacking, since you don't have to boot into the development environment.

Comment

Thats clear, otherwise you would have to create always DFI files when you have got tested enough. But you can be sure, that when you add for example dropbear with active ssh server the system is fully compromised and not "save" as the pr wants to tell you. Adding a va* file is at least for the lite version very easy and hacked DFI images are possible too. Btw. not the ending is important, the beginning is, va-whatever.jpg would also work

Comment

Express Gate Problem

Few days ago I purchased a P5Q3 Deluxe/WiFi-AP @n motheboard with Express Gate SSD
            The problem is that all I can get to happen is that the main Express Gate menu comes up with the various applications.
            If I select an application (say, Web), I do get the language and time
            configuration screens for first time users, but then - nothing. The screen
            goes blank, with the backlight on. I have to do a cold reboot.

I've tried a few other suggestions with PNP and different bios settings but there seems to be no change.

Tried to unplug all usb devices except mouse and keyboard. Express Gate started ok but after setting the time zone everything goes black...

Any information or help is appreciated.

Comment

new ver v1.2.8.0

new version is out ST_ASUSEG00_HD_v1.2.8.0 i tried it on my m3n78-vm it worked,, but could not shut down,, did not show click box save settings, screen darken, the new update was for other asus lite motherboards, the new ver has web base games icon

Comment

Originally posted by azzinder View Post
                Few days ago I purchased a P5Q3 Deluxe/WiFi-AP @n motheboard with Express Gate SSD
                The problem is that all I can get to happen is that the main Express Gate menu comes up with the various applications.
                If I select an application (say, Web), I do get the language and time
                configuration screens for first time users, but then - nothing. The screen
                goes blank, with the backlight on. I have to do a cold reboot.

I've tried a few other suggestions with PNP and different bios settings but there seems to be no change.

Tried to unplug all usb devices except mouse and keyboard. Express Gate started ok but after setting the time zone everything goes black...

Any information or help is appreciated.
                by getting that far into the express gate boot i would think you have a corrupt ssd its soldered to a usb port on motherboard or bad memory chip

Comment

Originally posted by trid View Post
                  new version is out ST_ASUSEG00_HD_v1.2.8.0 i tried it on my m3n78-vm it worked,, but could not shut down,, did not show click box save settings, screen darken, the new update was for other asus lite motherboards, the new ver has web base games icon
                  it did show the shut down box

Comment

for usb you need the fastest speed u can find http://www.lexar.com/jumpdrive/lightning.html is a good start i think i found at target,, u only need 512mb but the larger the size the quicker the speed, im also using 512mn satadom i little slow but goes on motherboard

Comment

The "web-based" games are just a link to:

which i wrote here some time ago:

Comment

Working...
                      X