No announcement yet.

Hacking Express gate (Asus Splashtop)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The purpose it cut down the version file to the size of the header: 32 byte. If you do that in a dir without the file you get an empty one, this will not work of course.

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
      The purpose it cut down the version file to the size of the header: 32 byte. If you do that in a dir without the file you get an empty one, this will not work of course.
      OK, I think I understand now. If you truncate the version file to just the header, then it will automatically skip the md5 and size check because they are no longer in the file? Is that what is happening?

Comment

Yes, that was the purpose. If a later version only adds packages which are mentioned in the version file I have got no problem too, just a little change to my update tool

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
          Yes, that was the purpose. If a later version only adds packages which are mentioned in the version file I have got no problem too, just a little change to my update tool
          Got my system back. Phew. Flashing the modified dfi seem to work. I changed the version to 1.2.20 to test and the updater complained that it is older than the current. Flashing was successful after that. Don't look like there is any more significant checks but I did not modify the image much in the first place. Now, to add a terminal and some other apps.

Comment

Did you see my easy edit script here:

I updated it with the code I currently use. Maybe it is usefull for others too who directly work on the image. As it extracts every sqx file you can easyly compare things.

Comment

OK, that error message turned out not to be a touched file, but insufficient memory for it's checks.
              My laptop only has 256mb, so I tried first with 40mb, 80mb, 128mb, but only 256mb worked. And swapped like crazy. Perhaps I can prevent this check from happening and run it with less ram allocated.

Comment

Well I wrote 256 mb in my other post for qemu...

Comment

Yes, but you didn't mention it was strictly necessary..

Comment

Anyone knows how to get to the SSD?

Hi there,

did anyone figured out how to do the actual flashing of the ExpressGate's SSD on Linux? I asked the question to ASUS Technical Support already some time ago, and all they had to say was "upgrading ExpressGate from Linux is not possible".
                    Any hints where to start looking for possible hacking places? (I've P5Q Deluxe with Fedora 9)...

cheers,
                    Piotr

Comment

I guess to find out what is different compare lspci, lspci -n, lsusb from inside and outside splashtop. Inside the device must be active of course. Then you at least know what to seek for. Maybe the bios cuts one powerline to the ssd when it is not enabled - i guess it is a standard usb flash.

Comment

Working...
                      X