Hacking Express gate (Asus Splashtop)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Customized kernel on BIOS - possible?

It would be super cool if there were a way to boot with my own kernel in place of SplashTop/Express Gate (and I can't imagine why Asus wouldn't encourage this... it would greatly increase sales).

In any case, has anyone figured this out? I would like to put an iSCSI root kernel on there with a basic initrd to make the ultimate diskless workstation/server setup.

I miss the old Linux BIOS project - it was the best idea ever but even the domain is gone these days

Thanks,
    Mark

Comment

• Originally posted by pyite View Post
      I miss the old Linux BIOS project - it was the best idea ever but even the domain is gone these days
      It's still alive, it's now called Coreboot.

coreboot (formerly known as LinuxBIOS).......

Comment

• I just disable it as proprietary and useless. I mean the MAIN system, which is good ol' linux boots equally fast. Its meant for windoze users. And there is no single word about "linux" in there anyway(nor in handbook, scew you asus).

On the contradiction, in Toshiba Regza 40" TV you get GNU GPL License displayed in fullHD and gcc, glibc and linux kernel versions. That was (very positive) shock for me.

Comment

• Express Gate HDD - from Scratch

Has anyone been successful on replacing CEFULL with it's own kernel from scratch? I want to make my OWN distribution for ExpressGate, with just my own program there and some extra security tips on the kernel (like NO network or usb support enabled).
          IDEAS?

Thanks in advance.

BTW, i have an P7H55D-M PRO

Comment

• Hi

hi one qestion:
            I have asus laptop M50Vn and replace standard Wifi adapter: intel wifi 5100 on broadcom 43XX series, windows work fine of corst but express gate (ver. 1.5.22.5) have lost wifi work only lan and dsl. someone can help if it's posable (work wifi agane on express gate).
            thenks for help

Comment

• I did that long ago, you have got get the kernel source, compile the kernel module and put it in a sqx. In the first released sources the kernel config was just not the one used, so i had to tweak that first, but maybe you are more lucky now. I have got no interest in splashtop anymore.

Comment

• STBOOT - A CEFULL replacement

Hi guys, I'm sorry this topic is something dead, but I found a way to boot whatever OS you want using the Splashtop button, using the CEFULL file to hijack the boot process and execute your own boot code. A Splashtop OS installation is not necessary to achieve this, eliminating the need for Windows. It's my first true program in assembly, I didn't try to optimize my code and everything is pretty much hard-coded (suggestions are welcome). However, it's been a good exercise to practice switching between protected mode and real mode.

The tarball, containing source and binaries : stboot-0.1.tar.gz

Documentation and instructions can be found in the README.

Comment

• Is it possible for me to take your Splashtop and install it on my Thinkpad?

Comment

• If your PC has a Splashtop button, you can use my program to bootstrap to another OS when pushing the Splashtop button.

Besides, there's a new version of stboot and the project has a homepage now : http://code.google.com/p/stboot

Comment

• I am not trying to bootstrap another OS but want to install Splashtop on my thinkpad as a fast boot option.

Comment

Working...
                      X