No announcement yet.

Hacking Express gate (Asus Splashtop)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Songbird will play Video, if we can figure out how to install a set of codecs into splashtop.
    DOesnt seem to have any video codecs outside of what youtube would need.

Might try installing a set of universal codecs though some of those dont seem to fair too well.

Oh, i had to resquash my add ons, leaving them in 3.4 sqx worked ok for splashtop but cause problems trying to exit splashtop.
    pc would lock with a blob of vomit looking color on the screen.

resquashing with 4.0 fixed it.

I sucessfuly replace Splashtop browser with unlocked firefox.
    but i let splashtops setup files remain in hopes of using the preset up persistent book marks etc.
    It worked but it didnt.
    Firefox was then locked up just like splashtops browser.

So the scripts they use need edited.
    I was unable though to make firefox overwrite splastop browser on boot
    even though i mirrored the location correctly.
    I copied it over from the mounted sqx in term instead.

Once your checksum app is verified as working though, that wont be a problem anymore.

Comment

• Sorry, been away for the weekend.

Take a look and see if the DVM-Version app works, I am busy trying to get 1.5.22.5 working on SSD (a bit of a mission by the looks of it).

Usage is:

mono DVM-Version.exe [ASUS.SYS folder] [ASUS.SYS/version] [ExpressGate version (1.4.10.8)]
      Good luck

Comment

• Im having occasional intermittent problems with 1.5

occasionaly when i try to exit splashtop, even if i dont actualy load into it, it will lock the PC with a long orangish brown rectangle in the middle of the screen.

This is even to go to the bios.

Its 1.5 because if i rename the ASUS.SYS folder (making splashtop think it isnt there) or put 1.4 back, it never happens.

I imagine it may be due to the fact that there doesnt seem to be a 1.5 offered yet for my motherboard specificaly.

Aside from that annoyance it works fine.

Havent tried your app yet.

Comment

• Yeah, also been having some problems with 1.5.22.5, was able to get 1.5.17.10 working perfectly though...

Comment

• Okay, 1.5.22.5 working fine now, also: Version 1.1.0 of DVM-Version is working perfectly (dropped all but the english lang packs and it worked)

Gonna be trying to get themes to work nicely (make your own etc.)

Here is a challenge, since DVM-Version is working you can modify the built in Cripplefox and hopefully un-cripple it. However we should maintain the functionality that has been added (namely changing the search engine in Cripplefox changes the search engine on the ExpressGate start page).

Also gonna look into modifying the background of the startup page, would be very cool to have our own custom ones

Then I also need to get SSD ExpressGate to mount windows HDDs, I think there may be a problem there due to it loading before POST (HDD controller may not have initialized yet).

Also, 1.5.22.5 has Xrandr and gft included in it, which should make our lives a bit easier.

Now that I have 1.5.22.5 working I'm gonna try and get Pidgin 2.6.6 working, if that does I will be extremely pleased, will also post the sqx file as soon as it does

Comment

• Originally posted by SPARTAN View Post
              Okay, 1.5.22.5 working fine now, also: Version 1.1.0 of DVM-Version is working perfectly (dropped all but the english lang packs and it worked)

Gonna be trying to get themes to work nicely (make your own etc.)

Here is a challenge, since DVM-Version is working you can modify the built in Cripplefox and hopefully un-cripple it. However we should maintain the functionality that has been added (namely changing the search engine in Cripplefox changes the search engine on the ExpressGate start page).

Also gonna look into modifying the background of the startup page, would be very cool to have our own custom ones

Then I also need to get SSD ExpressGate to mount windows HDDs, I think there may be a problem there due to it loading before POST (HDD controller may not have initialized yet).

Also, 1.5.22.5 has Xrandr and gft included in it, which should make our lives a bit easier.

Now that I have 1.5.22.5 working I'm gonna try and get Pidgin 2.6.6 working, if that does I will be extremely pleased, will also post the sqx file as soon as it does
              How did you get 1.5.22.5 to play nice?
              I wound up having to disable splashtop to boot to anything else including just the bios settings.
              It was a game of reboot and hope not to get the squished screen of goofy brown graphics

Comment

• Hahaha, that is strange. I also found that with 1.5.22.5 if it fails to load or you skip the load sequence (just wait for it to time out) it does not detect any of my HDDs. Not entirely sure why that is, may end up dropping down to 1.5.17.10 again to avoid it.
                Fingers crossed that Asus releases a newer version which fixes these problems (of course, I am trying to run a HDD install on an SSD )

Comment

• Originally posted by SPARTAN View Post

I had to kill the 1.55, it just decided i wasnt allowed to boot anything else but it any more.
                  POssibly because it isnt specificly offered for this MB (that i could tell) who knows.

SO ill have to step down a version and start over.

Uncrippling FF isnt hard, you just have to remove thier script
                  that changes the help and options funtions.
                  The actual app is normal code, they are just using FF's built in ability to be tailored for public environments.

You can remove all the custom EG scripts of course, but that will also possibly remove the part you wanted to keep.

btw i couldnt find any updates on your website in-re to the new tool etc.

I found a guy on another forum who claims to have swapped out EG for puppy, but when i tried to ask him for some info on how he did it etc, he basicly told me to figure it out for myself, except alot ruder.
                  Shame, id take a nice 200mb puppy install VS EG

Comment

• Is there a way to get my HP printer to work with Express Gate? I have an older Officejet 6110 printer/fax.

I skimmed through the messages, but didn't notice anything yet. I didn't read all of the 200+ messages either.

I'd like to be able to install a printer, but I find it completely useless without one as I print out a lot of stuff. It is just a big pain to reboot into windows all the time.

I own a plain Asus P5Q motherboard.

I'd be very grateful for any help.

Thanks
                    -=Mark=-

Comment

• Originally posted by MarkJohnson View Post
                      Is there a way to get my HP printer to work with Express Gate? I have an older Officejet 6110 printer/fax.

I skimmed through the messages, but didn't notice anything yet. I didn't read all of the 200+ messages either.

I'd like to be able to install a printer, but I find it completely useless without one as I print out a lot of stuff. It is just a big pain to reboot into windows all the time.

I own a plain Asus P5Q motherboard.

I'd be very grateful for any help.

Thanks
                      -=Mark=-
                      Sadly, I don't know anything about this. Splashtop is very minimal.

Now, would anyone be able to tell me how to get an uncrippled version of Firefox, or another browser?

Comment

Working...
                      X