Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The BQ Aquaris Ubuntu Phone's Kernel Appears To Be A Toxic Mess

Phoronix: The BQ Aquaris Ubuntu Phone's Kernel Appears To Be A Toxic Mess

Carsten Munk of the Mer Project and Chief Research Engineer of Jolla has raised some concerns about the Linux kernel used by the BQ Aquaris E4.5 smart-phone running Ubuntu Touch. The kernel appears to have module source-code marked as confidential and other markings that would not comply with the GPLv2 license of the Linux kernel...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

lol

is almost certain this guy have a android phone or a iphone, another guy without nothing to do with his life

Comment

At least my Android phone comes with a proper Linux Kernel (including the proper license). I'd be surprised if the Ubuntu Phone was the first MediaTek device that does not raise questions about GPL license violations.

MediaTek, I hope someone gets ready to sue you in due time. Just like VMware in Germany.

Comment

MediaTek sigh

Anyone who is familar with MediaTek their almost non-existent GPL compliance should have expected this. This is the price you have to pay to get your product in the hands of the consumer which canonical has to take to enter the market.

An example of previous (current?) MediaTeks shenanigans

Even with a Qualcomm powered SoC ubuntu is based on Android and Qualcomm Android devices require a fair share of proprietary binary blobs for the device to work properly.
        Despite Qualcomm being perhaps the most OSS friendly SoC manufacture (Code Aurora Forum).

Comment

Well... it's Mediatek, so that was expected.

btw, maybe anyone know where is sources of Archos 70b Xenon firmware? (MT6582) I though Archos should comply with GPLv2, but can't find sources anywhere.

Comment

Everybody already knows this, most phones, including BQ Aquaris E4.5 run on proprietary drivers so this was completely expected. Nothing to see here move along. Maybe they jelly much because Ubuntu phones get more media attention than Jolla phones?

Comment

how is that different from any other mediatek device running another OS like Android?

to me it looks like again a commercial opponent is trying to start something against ubuntu/canonical. like the kde-tablet (that never happend) guy that meant to tell canonical how to do all the phone and tablet stuff the right way, because he said he knows how the phone business runs.

Comment

At minimum It is Canonicals job to ensure their products abide the kernel GPL. Obviously They are already guilty of abusing OSS projects, and with there cross license they are probably guilty of OSS violations too.

I think it's time somebody stepped up to bat and knocked Canonical out.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
                  At minimum It is Canonicals job to ensure their products abide the kernel GPL. Obviously They are already guilty of abusing OSS projects, and with there cross license they are probably guilty of OSS violations too.

I think it's time somebody stepped up to bat and knocked Canonical out+.
                  MediaTek chipset bro, you cant do it differently. But please keep trolling, it is entertaining.

Comment

Originally posted by rikkinho View Post
                    is almost certain this guy have a android phone or a iphone, another guy without nothing to do with his life
                    I'm pretty sure Carsten has a Jolla.

Comment

Working...
                    X