Need advice Linux laptops

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Update,

I just checked out the Macbook and did some research. I don't think I'll be able to use VMWare because there is no free version on Mac. Then it got me thinking of using bootcamp and that didn't turn out good either. Anyway, I'm in the case where I have to work with Linux so that means it's back to square one.

Comment

Also the MacBook will also just have Intels onboard-graphics.

What is your budget?

Comment

I'd say my budget would hover at around $1,500. Less, great.

Core 2 Duo, nVidia graphics, wifi, and I hope HD ready.

Comment

Please have a look at Dell Vostro 1400. If you were in US, it would have been the most awesome deal (~800 usd !!). Comes with C2D and nv geforce 8400m gs. I got each and every single bit of hardware working flawlessly in linux, including in-built webcam and microphone. The 85Whr battery lasting ~6 hrs is a killer. Other goodies - the less weight and portability at 14", the strong and sleek build, and 2 gb ram. (PS : Don't bitch about windows vista .) I am sure no deal can beat this .

Comment

Originally posted by hdas View Post
            Please have a look at Dell Vostro 1400. If you were in US, it would have been the most awesome deal (~800 usd !!). Comes with C2D and nv geforce 8400m gs. I got each and every single bit of hardware working flawlessly in linux, including in-built webcam and microphone. The 85Whr battery lasting ~6 hrs is a killer. Other goodies - the less weight and portability at 14", the strong and sleek build, and 2 gb ram. (PS : Don't bitch about windows vista .) I am sure no deal can beat this .
            I'll be sure to check this. Thanks. I hope it's HD-ready.

About Vista, don't worry. I'll just tell them to shove it... back into their shelves.

Comment

For what it's worth, I have been looking for a new laptop as well... An office laptop with my main requirements just being a high resolution display (1400x1050 or greater), Core 2 Duo, and PM965 Chipset. These three are what I believe I narrowed it down to: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...220285&bop=And
              Michael Larabel
              https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Thanks for your thoughts Michael. Just in case you get any of them, please post your thoughts on them. It will definitely help in my selection.

Comment

I'll probably be ordering one later this month or early next month, and will be sure to post my thoughts (and probably a review and benchmarks ).
                  Michael Larabel
                  https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Just talked to my friend supplier and it seems like Acer and Compaq are my choices. Not a lot then. Now I think I need help more than ever.

Comment

Update.

Prowling through the ACER line up. I think this is my only option on Acer... what do you guys think?

Acer Aspire 5920G

I'll try to talk them into dropping Vista. hehehe.

Comment

Working...
                      X