Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux Support For The Broadwell Dell XPS 13 Isn't Yet In Shape

Phoronix: Linux Support For The Broadwell Dell XPS 13 Isn't Yet In Shape

While the new Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Carbon with Broadwell processor is playing fairly well under Linux, the new Dell XPS 13 laptop/ultrabook that's been of interest to many Phoronix readers still has a lot of work ahead although it's effectively usable right now...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Dell actually plans to release a "Developer Edition" of the XPS 13 with Ubuntu 14.04 LTS (with some Dell software adjustments) in the coming months, so I guess issues will get sorted.

Comment

Originally posted by d2kx View Post
      Dell actually plans to release a "Developer Edition" of the XPS 13 with Ubuntu 14.04 LTS (with some Dell software adjustments) in the coming months, so I guess issues will get sorted.
      Yeah, they're supposed to be launching the Linux line this month sometime[1], but with the 2-3 week lead time on orders, I went ahead and bit the bullet and bought a Windows one, though I'll be using Linux exclusively on it.
      I want a new laptop by March 1 for a new job, and there hasn't been any hint as to which versions of the XPS 13 will be available via Sputnik, and hardware timelines always slip.

I hope that if/when I get a refund on the Windows license, they'll still count it as a Linux laptop purchase :-D

[1] http://www.reddit.com/r/linux/commen...s13_2015_will/

Comment

And the Ubuntu version will probably cost more than the Windows version. Fuck Dell.
        Last edited by chimpy; 03 February 2015, 03:03 PM.

Comment

Why would audio not work on the Dell but it works on the Thinkpad? Are they using different mobo chipsets? An audio chipset that's not part of the mobo's southbridge? Stupid. I'm not surprised that their "precision" touchpad doesn't work properly on linux. Probably why you can pick up the baseline XPS for so cheap, as compared to something like the Thinkpad.

Comment

Originally posted by chimpy View Post
            And the Ubuntu version will probably cost more than the Windows version. Fuck Dell.
            In the initial announcement they said it will be 50$ cheaper.

Comment

If the audio part is similar to other laptops you can try to use the model override. If you find something working, write a quirk line, i did that for some Kanotix users, pretty easy.

Comment

Kkkeyboard ..

Originally posted by d2kx View Post
                I do hope Dell will resolve their Mmmajor Kkkkkkeyboard Rrrrrepeat Headacheee before they start selling that thing. The issue plagues many of their newer models and BIOS versions, and on Linux in particular. (There are keyboard issues also with other operating systems, including Windows 7 and even Windows 8 if running as a VM guest.) I'm a developer myself, and I got a top spec Dell E7440 about a year ago, thinking it would be great for Linux. And yes, most things work with Ubuntu 14.04, but the keyboard is killing me.

Read here before deciding to buy a Dell laptop:
                http://en.community.dell.com/support...518/t/19593360

(It is rumoured that Dell will be releasing a BIOS fix in March, but I will believe that when I see it.)

Comment

hm

probaly it works well with ubuntu

Comment

This laptop seems to have many components that should never be used in a Linux laptop. Broadcom wireless chips, ALPS touchpad and a buggy sound chip. Yuk! Not even the keyboard works properly? I can't believe they're shipping this shit with Linux by default.

Comment

Working...
                    X