Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu vs. Fedora vs. openSUSE With An Intel Broadwell Ultrabook

Phoronix: Ubuntu vs. Fedora vs. openSUSE With An Intel Broadwell Ultrabook

The latest Linux benchmarks I have to share from the Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Carbon with Intel Broadwell processor are some openSUSE Tumbleweed tests with the results compared to Fedora 21 and Ubuntu 14.10/15.04.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Michael, could you add the information if that was a fresh fedora installation or a updated version?

For fedora the updates after the release make much more difference than as example to ubuntu, because they upgrade kernels and stuff.

So a benchmark some time after release between unupdated releases that nobody at this point use favors always ubuntu, if performance benchmarks do really matter that much anyway for normal desktop users. I doubt it. Its more like a test of filesystems and stuff like that.

Comment

Originally posted by blackiwid View Post
      Michael, could you add the information if that was a fresh fedora installation or a updated version?

For fedora the updates after the release make much more difference than as example to ubuntu, because they upgrade kernels and stuff.

So a benchmark some time after release between unupdated releases that nobody at this point use favors always ubuntu, if performance benchmarks do really matter that much anyway for normal desktop users. I doubt it. Its more like a test of filesystems and stuff like that.
      Shouldn't the distributions provide weekly updated ISO files for downloading? Doing so would benefit both the user and the repo server since less downloading from the repo to update the fresh installation.

Comment

OpenSUSE did well. Except for graphics. I wonder why.

Comment

Originally posted by xeekei View Post
          OpenSUSE did well. Except for graphics. I wonder why.
          Because it's KDE and KWin doesn't have unredirect fullscreen windows set as default, I think.

Comment

thanks for the post mate...

Comment

Working...
            X