Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Librem 15 Linux Laptop Set To Close At Around $400k USD

Phoronix: Librem 15 Linux Laptop Set To Close At Around $400k USD

While new Linux laptop projects keep popping up and many of these open-source friendly hardware projects never materialize, the Librem 15 at least has managed to shoot past its original funding goal...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

At first I thought the laptop itself was going to cost 400 000 USD.

Comment

Almost $2k for a 15" noname laptop? Pass.

Comment

This laptop makes more of a difference than abrand laptops do.

Comment

Thought someone was making a that cost 400K too. In any case the more open hardware initiatives the better .

Comment

Originally posted by prodigy_ View Post
            Agree. Make it 1k$ less.

Comment

Originally posted by prodigy_ View Post
              I just got a open box Lenovo laptop from BestBuy with a i7+860gtx for 800 (1250 retail) before tax. 1850 for a laptop that doesn't offer anything truly different... If you had the money to burn, you might as well spend the money and get a Bonobo Extreme from System76...

Comment

A cheap laptop, and what a FOSS laptop can accomplish, is two distinctly different things.

That being said, the x1 isnt the end-all of every use-case.

Compare

Third gen thinkpad carbon x1
                8 GB ram and 2560px x1440px screen max
                Purism Librem
                32GB ram and 3840px x 2160px screen max

A gaming laptop neither of these are, but that's another matter. One which in your line of reasoning favours a desktop computer.
                The difference between a generic lenovo laptop and a thinkpad is also not irrelevant.

If you aren't in the market for what's on offer, why pretend to be interested? It misses the point.

Comment

Originally posted by kingu View Post
                  A cheap laptop, and what a FOSS laptop can accomplish, is two distinctly different things.

Purism Librem
                  32GB ram and 3840px x 2160px screen
                  And it'll be more expensive than MacBook Pro 15" which is indeed quite an accomplishment...

Comment

Considering the current Librem Laptop pricing with 4GB of RAM, 500GB HDD, CD / DVD ROM, 1920 x 1080, and Core i7 Haswell processor starts at $1849 USD, I'm quite happy with my new Broadwell-based ThinkPad X1 Carbon with its excellent build quality and it cost less while having better hardware and will almost surely be freed up with Coreboot in the future. At least though the Librem hardware ends up being more interesting than the out-of-date Gluglug laptops that are refurbished ThinkPads.
                    This is such a moronic statement.
                    You can't compare a non-Free Carbon Thinkpad with something where the hardware has been especially chosen to work with Free Software drivers and no "unknown" binaries supplied by the manufacturer. Hardware switches for camera / microphone and bluetooth chipsets are a feature in themselves, too, that you don't get on a carbon thinkpad. The fact that your hardware is running under known and Free conditions is worth it in itself, unless you blindly trust every manufacturer out there.

Comment

Working...
                    X