My Next Linux Ultrabook: Lenovo's ThinkPad X1 Carbon With Core i7-5600U

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by efikkan View Post
    Unfortunately they appears to be like most OEM laptops, cheap build quality.
    I don't believe that at all. System76 notebooks essentially Clevos. And Clevo notebooks are very well known for build quality and longevity. There's a reason virtually all boutique gaming notebooks are Clevo based.

Comment

Wishlist for Fedora 21 testing on the X1 2015 - Edition

Glad to hear about your decision, I'm thinking of the exact same setup: 2015 x1 carbon with Fedora 21.

Things I'm interested in the most:
      • battery life (especially compared to windows 8.1)
      • does suspend / hibernate work?
      • fan speed / noise!

the X1 is known for causing problems with hibernate or the fan going crazy. Make sure to also test it out with fan control/lm-sensors . Please post results of average /load/idle battery life on windows 8.1 compared to fedora 21.

Finally: What does not work and how to solve it?

Thank you in advance if you consider my suggestions.

Comment

I personally went with the Thinkpad T440 - it's more expandable than the Carbon X1. Can't say your review of the Zenbook didn't influence me in my consideration of what to purchase, but I really wanted a machine that works - and the T440 is just that. Put any distro you want, there's no aspect of the laptop that doesn't work with all of them, right out of the box. The T440 is also pretty sturdy... it's suffered some drops by my kids, nothing happened... plus I got a nice 25% off the listed price on the website due to some work related perks.

I know the Carbon looks nice, but you may want to consider just going with their T-series.... The only thing that ticked me off is their new touchpad - it's too sturdy to the touch and they've removed the physical left/right click buttons. Other than that, you'd be hard pressed to find a better Linux laptop thank the ThinkPad T series...

Comment

Oh I forgot to add:

• boot time comparison Windows 8.1, Ubuntu 14.04, Fedora 21

would be also nice.

Comment

Originally posted by ThinkOutOfTheBox View Post
            Oh I forgot to add:

• boot time comparison Windows 8.1, Ubuntu 14.04, Fedora 21

would be also nice.
            Remember to force Windows 8.1 to actually shutdown instead of that hybrid hibernation thing it does by default if measuring boot times to get a fair comparison

Comment

Originally posted by Luke View Post
              I remember a batch of Windows 8/ UEFI Thinkpads that were hardcoded in the firmware to refuse to boot any UEFI image not named either Windows or RHEL. If yours has that issue, rename the Linux boot image to exactly match that used by Red Hat Enterprise Linux and you have them beat
              Thinkpads have normal BIOS Fallback mode. There's really no reason to use this UEFI crap.

Comment

Originally posted by ThinkOutOfTheBox View Post
                Thinkpads have normal BIOS Fallback mode. There's really no reason to use this UEFI crap.
                I don't want to use BIOS crap, I want EFI. If EFI doesn't work then I will not buy a Thinkpad.
                ## VGA ##
                AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
                Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post
                  I don't want to use BIOS crap, I want EFI. If EFI doesn't work then I will not buy a Thinkpad.
                  I see. Well I guess everyone has different priorities and criteria on which to base a purchase decision upon.

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post
                    Why is BIOS - crap, and why EFI is better?

Comment

see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unified...face#Criticism

Comment

Working...
                      X