X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ThinkOutOfTheBox
    replied
    Wishlist for Fedora 21 testing on the X1 2015 - Edition

Glad to hear about your decision, I'm thinking of the exact same setup: 2015 x1 carbon with Fedora 21.

Things I'm interested in the most:
    • battery life (especially compared to windows 8.1)
    • does suspend / hibernate work?
    • fan speed / noise!

the X1 is known for causing problems with hibernate or the fan going crazy. Make sure to also test it out with fan control/lm-sensors . Please post results of average /load/idle battery life on windows 8.1 compared to fedora 21.

Finally: What does not work and how to solve it?

Thank you in advance if you consider my suggestions.

Leave a comment:

• Sonadow
    replied
    Originally posted by efikkan View Post
    Unfortunately they appears to be like most OEM laptops, cheap build quality.
    I don't believe that at all. System76 notebooks essentially Clevos. And Clevo notebooks are very well known for build quality and longevity. There's a reason virtually all boutique gaming notebooks are Clevo based.

Leave a comment:

• tomtomme
    replied
    Originally posted by efikkan View Post
    Did you try one?
    I hope my order arrives this week so that I can tell you about my experience...

Leave a comment:

• Michael
    replied
    Originally posted by Rashed View Post
    I have been using arch linux inside VirtualBox for couple of month, but I want a dedicated machine for arch linux and new Lenovo x1 carbon looks slick. So I am planning to buy one probably after I see your linux test result. So please test arch linux on your machine.
    If the X1 Carbon works on a released version of Fedora or Ubuntu, it's almost guaranteed it will work fine on Arch... Not sure I'll have time to test other distributions before commissioning it, but will do Broadwell Arch tests for sure on a NUC or other system to come.

Leave a comment:

• Michael
    replied
    Originally posted by eydee View Post
    Whenever I see these pictures of the so many pieces of hardware, nice room decorations, furniture etc., I always think, damn those adblockers...
    Keep in mind most of the hardware around there is for reviews, any "furniture" (not cabinets or desks / explicitly business stuff that I've bought) was actually used stuff I got for free (like that commonly seen table and chairs in many photos in past few months, is very outdated by modern American standards but managed to snag for free before a relative was going to throw them out), etc. But if you wish to argue any of that stuff out, it's for another thread.

Leave a comment:

• dimitris
    replied
    Quad-core

Related to the discussions on this thread about quad-core CPUs on thinkpads: I'm eagerly awaiting a version of the T450 - perhaps as a T450p - with integrated graphics and the Broadwell "equivalent" of the i7-4900MQ that's (still) available on the T440p.

Basically, a development workhorse thinkpad that fits in my backpack but with a decent clickpad/buttons combo. Most of my work is done on a stand-up desk with external display/keyboard/mouse, but I do travel often so I draw the line at 14-inch machines.

Oh and with IPS. I saw somewhere (can't find it again) that the T450, as opposed to the T450s, will only have TN display options. Boo!

Any chance of that appearing?

Leave a comment:

• Rashed
    replied
    Test Arch Linux

I have been using arch linux inside VirtualBox for couple of month, but I want a dedicated machine for arch linux and new Lenovo x1 carbon looks slick. So I am planning to buy one probably after I see your linux test result. So please test arch linux on your machine.

Leave a comment:

• Drago
    replied
    Originally posted by vitalif View Post
    The big problem of ThinkPads is their keyboard layout, i.e the position of Fn, PgUp/PgDown and Home/End buttons. Very strange and inconvenient. Even non-thinkpad Lenovos are better - they have PgUp/PgDown/Home/End in a vertical row at the right side...
    Are you f*ing serious? Keyboard and especially PgUp/PgDown key placement are top notch!

Leave a comment:

• eydee
    replied
    Whenever I see these pictures of the so many pieces of hardware, nice room decorations, furniture etc., I always think, damn those adblockers...

Leave a comment:

• efikkan
    replied
    Thinkpads are of great build quality, but I think the Carbon is the wakest choise in the lineup. It's slick and nice, but it's not suited for much more than light surfing og document writing. The T and X series offer way better options for work. They are more solid, offer better battery choices and hardware, and non-glossy screens which is a must for work.

Originally posted by deimios View Post
    I still remember when core i5 had 4 cores, now not even i7 has them...
    These are the low watt editions of i3/i5/i7, and can't be compared to the other CPU series performance wise. i7-5600U is weaker than an i3 on the desktop to set things in perspective.

Originally posted by gotwig View Post
    WHY DO PEOPLE BUY THIS? NO DEDICATED GRAPHICS? 1800$?!

Check this out:
    Custom build your next gaming computer, laptop, or notebook from our extensive selection and finance options. Take your gaming to the next level with XOTIC PC.
    That laptop isn't anywhere near the build quality of a Thinkpad, even though it might offer great value for end users.

I do agree about the dedicated graphics though, anyone who needs a performing and responsive computer needs to stay away from shared memory GPU due to microstuttering.

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
    Any reason for not considering/choosing System76? Built from the ground up for Linux and tons of options for customization.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X