Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Linux Tests Are Coming Of The New Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Carbon (Broadwell)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux Tests Are Coming Of The New Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Carbon (Broadwell)

Phoronix: Linux Tests Are Coming Of The New Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Carbon (Broadwell)

One of my big highlights of the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas last week was Lenovo's launch of the Broadwell-based X1 Carbon ultrabook/laptop... It looks like the best ThinkPad in years! Many others seem to also think this new X1 Carbon is a winner, and with being one of the first Broadwell designs available in the US, is going to be benchmarked shortly on Phoronix...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Re

Seems these days it's cheaper to buy a MacBook Pro
    Can't find any laptop that brought to MacBook's configuration is cheaper than it... What to say of the build quality...

Comment

I use Gentoo, I'm willing to spend but I would like a quad core Broadwell ultrabook. Any hints?
      ## VGA ##
      AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
      Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

I have to say, I'm really disappointed to hear about the RAM being soldered to the motherboard. It's like Lenovo don't want me to upgrade from my X220 /w IPS screen and mSATA SSD... Which is a shame, because I'm very keen to move to Broadwell hardware, especially given the prospective performance of their new generation of iGPUs.

Does this new line feature the "return of the physical TrackPoint mouse buttons" that was heralded elsewhere? If so, a step back in the right direction at least, but the chiclet keyboard remains a let-down.

Comment

Originally posted by Alliancemd View Post
          Seems these days it's cheaper to buy a MacBook Pro
          Can't find any laptop that brought to MacBook's configuration is cheaper than it... What to say of the build quality...
          I'm really looking forward to Dell's new XPS 13. http://www.dell.com/us/p/xps-13-9343-laptop.

It seems to have more powerful CPU and GPU, much longer battery life, higher resolution screen, cheaper, lighter, has card reader etc.. I seriously can't find any real flaw in it.

Comment

The one and only thing that keeps me from buying a Lenovo, HP, Toshiba or Panasonic notebook is the blasted BIOS / EFI whitelist that they use to block installation of my own WiFi cards.

I guess from now on it's either Acer, ASUS, Dell, Clevo or unbranded China notebooks sold on online stores. I have lost faith in Fujitsu notebooks for a while already.

Comment

Originally posted by aphirst View Post
              Does this new line feature the "return of the physical TrackPoint mouse buttons" that was heralded elsewhere?
              Yes, the new X1 Carbon does!
              Michael Larabel
              https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by veeableful View Post
                It seems to have more powerful CPU and GPU, much longer battery life, higher resolution screen, cheaper, lighter, has card reader etc.. I seriously can't find any real flaw in it.
                Build quality not as good as ThinkPads?
                Michael Larabel
                https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

The new XPS 13 is what caught my eye from CES.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                    Build quality not as good as ThinkPads?
                    That may be it, although build quality never bothered me much. If the build is just as good as the Samsung Chromebook 2 (Intel) that I have right now, I'd be a happy person. I prefer its keyboard to my previous MBA.

Comment

Working...
                    X