Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVIDIA Releases K1-Powered Shield Tablet & Controller

Phoronix: NVIDIA Releases K1-Powered Shield Tablet & Controller

NVIDIA announced this morning their new Shield Tablet and Shield Controller. The new Shield Tablet is a $299 Android tablet that's great for gaming and is mighty powerful with using the Tegra K1 SoC...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

As powerful as this maybe, why would anyone get it? No seriously, why? Is there an Android game that struggles on your tablet/phone? Is there a game worth a damn on Android/iOS? Also what are you going to do with a tablet that has it's gamepad separate? It's not even portable, hell it's not even as portable as a laptop. Where you going to prop up the tablet while holding the controller? You would need a table or something. How portable is that, compared to a laptop which you just stick on your lap.

They should have integrated the controls into the tablet. Honestly they should just dump ARM and go x86 somehow. I could buy any $300 laptop and install Linux on it, and get more gaming out of it then this. Don't matter how more powerful the K1 is.

Comment

If most of the usage scenario is sitting on a table to play or linking to a TV, might as well just ditch the tablet form factor. An android console (running the upcoming android L TV UI) with the same hardware should be substantially cheaper (no screen and battery) and perform better due to less thermal throttling.

Comment

Originally posted by Dukenukemx View Post
        Is there an Android game that struggles on your tablet/phone?

Comment

As powerful as this maybe, why would anyone get it? No seriously, why? Is there an Android game that struggles on your tablet/phone? Is there a game worth a damn on Android/iOS? Also what are you going to do with a tablet that has it's gamepad separate? It's not even portable, hell it's not even as portable as a laptop. Where you going to prop up the tablet while holding the controller? You would need a table or something. How portable is that, compared to a laptop which you just stick on your lap.

They should have integrated the controls into the tablet. Honestly they should just dump ARM and go x86 somehow. I could buy any $300 laptop and install Linux on it, and get more gaming out of it then this. Don't matter how more powerful the K1 is.

And that is was less portable then the Pandora or Pyra, those sticks aren't going to last long getting bounced around the backpack or car as that not going to fit in anybody's pants pocket.

Comment

OMG Half Life 2 and Portal. Games built on 10 year old game engine. No crummy $300 laptop couldn't play those on PC. And unlike the Nvidia version, it doesn't require Nvidia hardware on PC.

Originally posted by Kivada View Post
            And that is was less portable then the Pandora or Pyra, those sticks aren't going to last long getting bounced around the backpack or car as that not going to fit in anybody's pants pocket.
            The point is that you could build the controls onto the tablet, like how the Wii U does it. The implementation mabye bad in that example, but the point is it's not portable if you have to carry two devices around and requires a table to work it. The only other control to do something that stupid was the Virtual Boy.

Comment

Where you going to prop up the tablet while holding the controller? You would need a table or something. How portable is that, compared to a laptop which you just stick on your lap.
              Why would a laptop fit on your lap, but this tablet, with an inbuilt stand that has a position exactly for that purpose, not?
              Did you even watch the video or had a look at their website?

Comment

No crummy $300 laptop couldn't play those on PC.
                You asked specifically about tablets and phones.

Comment

i will most probalby buy it.

actually i wanted to buy the upcoming acer icnoia a1-840 FHD which is only 200 euros and has the best for the money.
                  though i'm willing to pay 100 or maybe more for not being an intel, for 35% longer lasting battery and as far as i know nvidia was very good at providing updates.

though i must admit i was strugling with myself to give any money to nvidia remebering their lies and exclusiviness about tegra and tegra2, how they tried to split the market.

400 euros for 32GB memory and LTE is an offer. overall seems a better offer for me than the upcoming nexus 9 which will need some month more to come here.

Comment

Originally posted by md1032 View Post
                    You asked specifically about tablets and phones.
                    Tablet and phone only games. Anyone who wants to play those games aren't going to do it on tablets or phones. You'll find a 10 year old PC and play it on that, or for that matter ANY PC.

Comment

Working...
                    X