Thermal Issues Appear To Cause My ASUS Zenbook Linux Woes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jimbohale View Post
    It might happen to some people but it never happened to me and I doubt happened to Michael.
    It happened to many of my teammates. I know of at least 3 cases where people on a first-name basis had to redo the TIM (themselves or get someone else to do it) and "void" warranty, because apple support saw no problem.

Comment

Originally posted by jimbohale View Post
      It might happen to some people but it never happened to me and I doubt happened to Michael.
      But it does happen to Apple owners. And so do other hardware failures. Switching to a Macbook would not eliminate potential hardware issues, statistically speaking it doesn't even make them less likely:

Page 6: laptop malfunction rates by manufacturer - Asus laptops have the lowest failure rate of all the major manufacturers (figures exclude accidental damage).

Comment

Michael, did you get this (rebooting) issue fixed? Please answer

Asking because i experiment something (mostly turn off some options, etc.). Got that too but on desktop kabini maybe in the latest 10-15 days .

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
          Michael, did you get this (rebooting) issue fixed? Please answer

Asking because i experiment something (mostly turn off some options, etc.). Got that too but on desktop kabini maybe in the latest 10-15 days .
          Still happens...
          Michael Larabel
          https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
            Still happens...
            Nah , just for you to know this seems not releted to intel or laptops only, it happens on desktop amd too .

I think i will run for few days with SwapbuffersWait off, somehow i guess this is related to that .
            Last edited by dungeon; 28 July 2014, 07:43 PM.

Comment

You don't need Crapple just to get reliablity.

Originally posted by wizard69 View Post
              I hate to say it but you really should consider going back to a Mac. It just isn't conducive to business to be running Linux on a laptop. I know that will generate all sorts of heat but the reality is you get a Mac laptop and it will run Mac OS reliably. If it doesn't Apple will take care of you. This is why I sit at a Mac right now and use it as my primary machine, the Linux machines are fine but for a primary user machine Macs just run.

You could try popping the machine apart to check fan operation and correct seating on the CPU.
              Buying overpriced sweatshop (Foxconn) goods from Crapple won't save your ass and won't pay for itself. I've never had one, exactly none of the laptops I have worked on came from them, and not ONCE have I had a problem that "buy a Mac" would fix. My sister's laptop will overheat-but only if she doesn't use a straw to blow all the crap out of the cooler through the case slots every couple of months. Unless Crapple is using self-cleaning fan filters and overclocking coolers in laptops, their hardware will get this issue just as fast.

Blow the dust out and keep it blown out, starting when you first get any laptop big enough to have an internal finned heatpipe cooler, as those tend to clog otherwise. It's no wonder another poster's graph showed a quarter of all laptops having issues by the three year mark: nobody cleans them out, and the dust kills them. Any computer I work on hardware-wise, the very first thing I do is inspect the coolers for dust and clean them out as needed.

As for Mac OS, I don't trust any closed source OS with the kind of data I use within the country of origin (US) or any of its allies.

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
                Nah , just for you to know this seems not releted to intel or laptops only, it happens on desktop amd too .

I think i will run for few days with SwapbuffersWait off, somehow i guess this is related to that .
                Nope got it again now , after much benchmarking of games, switching mesa versions, login/logouting... . After doing all that and after some time (minute maybe), with just Firefox sitting on the Desktop, firstly Desktop does not response for a few seconds, then for a few seconds i see black screen with corruption and finally reboot came in... all that automaticaly with no user intervention .
                Last edited by dungeon; 28 July 2014, 10:43 PM.

Comment

So user doing (much?) something, leave it for minute and it get rebooted... what is that

Comment

Man overclocks the shit out of computer.

Month passes.

Computer is suddenly unstable. How dare it!

:P

Comment

Aww Yeah! .

Comment

Working...
                      X