Clear All

• stiiixy
    replied
    So. Tizen.

Leave a comment:

• doom_Oo7
    replied
    Originally posted by dee. View Post
    Probably because you want to see a difference there. It'd be pretty shitty if you pay extra for a 120hz monitor and can't notice a difference, so you tell yourself "of course I can see a difference"...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Post-pu...ationalization
    If you lived in France I would happily prove you that there is no bias by inviting you to come over and check with your own eyes.

Leave a comment:

• Daktyl198
    replied
    Ok, NO. There's a huge market in selling bullshit to "audiophiles" (read: gullible fools) with no scientific or any other kind of evidence backing up any validity behind them. Special speaker wires aren't going to make your sound system sound any better, there's no magic involved in audio systems.

But hey, feel free to waste your money in "magic speaker wires" and "virus-protected HDMI cables" (yes, those are a thing... I've lost all faith in humanity)...
    ... Gold has lower electrical resistance compared to more common substances used for plating, and aside from that most "HiFi" cables are thicker, allowing more more throughput. There's definitely a difference between those and the shitty $5 2cm-wide wires you'll get at a dollar store. It's not going to magically make your system sound better, but it's going to _help_ a very expensive system sound as good as it should.

Unrelated: "virus-protected HDMI cables"? Holy hell, what is the world coming to. I want to kill anybody who falls for that.

Well, that's a nice way of making claims about a totally unrelated issue which I've never commented on. Lossy compression is a completely different issue, with a completely d?fferent set of problems.
    I meant "just because you can't tell the difference between low and high-quality audio after a certain level doesn't mean others can't". Worded it the wrong way, yeah.

Leave a comment:

• dee.
    replied
    Originally posted by doom_Oo7 View Post
    I just tried switching between 100 and 120 hz and the difference is still noticeable when moving windows for instance
    Probably because you want to see a difference there. It'd be pretty shitty if you pay extra for a 120hz monitor and can't notice a difference, so you tell yourself "of course I can see a difference"...

Leave a comment:

• dee.
    replied
    Originally posted by zanny View Post
    I have a "source" collection of tracks in flac / 320kbps mp3, and its 85GB big. My Opus collection at 128kbps, that I put on all my devices, is 20 gig. And I honestly never can tell the difference.
    With 320kbps vbr you probably won't hear much if any difference. Any lower from that though, especially with cbr, it becomes quite easy to tell if you know what to listen for. Problems with lossy compression become most apparent with high-end noisy sounds (hats, cymbals, high-pitched snares) which easily get noticeable distortion in lossy compression. It's a very easy to spot, zipper-like sound, kind of like a slight out-of-phase sound. Part of this is probably because of the inherent difficulties in compressing noise...

Leave a comment:

• doom_Oo7
    replied
    Originally posted by Daktyl198 View Post
    That said, there's obviously going to be a limit to the amount of information your eye can stream at one time, so maybe between 60 and 80fps (on a 120hz monitor) there is some little noticeable difference, but above 80 there's most likely nothing. That isn't to say that your brain doesn't know the difference between 80 and 100fps, it's just it doesn't see much difference in it.
    I just tried switching between 100 and 120 hz and the difference is still noticeable when moving windows for instance

Leave a comment:

• dee.
    replied
    You can if you have the proper equipment/software to go with it. The human ear is very adapt at noticing changes in sound,
    Ok, NO. There's a huge market in selling bullshit to "audiophiles" (read: gullible fools) with no scientific or any other kind of evidence backing up any validity behind them. Special speaker wires aren't going to make your sound system sound any better, there's no magic involved in audio systems.

But hey, feel free to waste your money in "magic speaker wires" and "virus-protected HDMI cables" (yes, those are a thing... I've lost all faith in humanity)...

so just because you got used to shitty 96kbps mp3s and can't hear "better quality", doesn't mean everybody has
    Well, that's a nice way of making claims about a totally unrelated issue which I've never commented on. Lossy compression is a completely different issue, with a completely d?fferent set of problems.

Leave a comment:

• zanny
    replied
    Yeah... sure, just like you can CLEARLY hear the difference in sound with these authentic, patented, gold-plated HiFi sound cables...
    Different strokes different folks. I notice 120 vs 60 like night and day, and I also really notice my eDP laptops variable refresh vs static refresh rates.

But in music? I have tried it with multiple tracks, including some crazy high BPM screamo and electronic alternate music that is supposed to have huge range and make reduced bit rates apparent, but I still have my entire collection in 128kbps Opus, and even that feels like overkill to me - the only bitrate threshold I hear a difference in is between 64 and 92 kbps. I really don't notice 92 vs 128, but I keep it up just in case because space is cheap.

I have a "source" collection of tracks in flac / 320kbps mp3, and its 85GB big. My Opus collection at 128kbps, that I put on all my devices, is 20 gig. And I honestly never can tell the difference.

But there are audiophiles who will swear they notice it. The same way I'll swear to you I know the difference between 60 and 120hz, the same way I notice 200 PPI vs 300 PPI at 12" view distance (for all our Euros, that is 30cm). So I won't debunk them because I don't have their ears, and as long as they have done enough evaluations to be confident about it in some partially scientific way (ie, they don't just say "BIGGER NUMBER BETTER MUST GET", then I'll take their word. It doesn't hurt you if others are pushing the upper bounds of human perception for you in this tech, because the benefits trickle down to even the mid range gear.

I do really like good speakers, though. Headphones drive me nuts because of no mass. I like a nice subwofer, nothing Earth shaking, but even at 10% volume I can feel the vibrations and they make a huge difference. But then I don't notice anything - so my $250 surround sound set I gave to my Dad, because I really like my $50 2.1 speaker set.

Leave a comment:

• TheBlackCat
    replied
    You can if you have the proper equipment/software to go with it. The human ear is very adapt at noticing changes in sound, so just because you got used to shitty 96kbps mp3s and can't hear "better quality", doesn't mean everybody has
    No, actually, you can't. It doesn't matter what the source material is, tests have shown over and over and over and over again that they make no difference whatsoever.

Leave a comment:

• Daktyl198
    replied
    To start off, your eye doesn't see in "frames", it pulls in a constant stream of information. Similarly, your eye doesn't have a resolution, parts of your eye see sharper than other parts (and as your eyes wander, your brain turns it all into a single, non-blurry picture for you).

That being said...

Originally posted by doom_Oo7 View Post
    Sure, it's not the same as a constant motion, but there is a CLEAR difference between 60 and 120hz, I can guarantee it.
    There is a CLEAR difference between 30fps and 60fps in games because 30fps is _just_ above the level where we need our brains to throw in made-up "frames" to simulate movement (25fps), while 60fps actually has those frames we're making up.
    That said, there's obviously going to be a limit to the amount of information your eye can stream at one time, so maybe between 60 and 80fps (on a 120hz monitor) there is some little noticeable difference, but above 80 there's most likely nothing. That isn't to say that your brain doesn't know the difference between 80 and 100fps, it's just it doesn't see much difference in it.

Yeah... sure, just like you can CLEARLY hear the difference in sound with these authentic, patented, gold-plated HiFi sound cables...
    You can if you have the proper equipment/software to go with it. The human ear is very adapt at noticing changes in sound, so just because you got used to shitty 96kbps mp3s and can't hear "better quality", doesn't mean everybody has

Leave a comment:

Working...
X