X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• raster
    replied
    Originally posted by berolinux View Post
    Libreoffice *can* use Qt for rendering its UI, for KDE and LXQt style integration.
    Whether or not it actually does depends on the options you pass to configure at build time, and the plugins you have installed at runtime.

Qt rendering is done by libvclplug_kde4lo.so (many distributions package this separately so Qt users can see LO in the native style while others don't have to drag in a dependency on Qt).

As for Android support, ironically one of the things that would be the most painful are the Java bits in LO -- getting Dalvik/libART to run those bits is somewhat tricky.
    but it doesn't "use qt" for it's ui - like konsole does etc. - it is not qt based. you don't suddenly have all the qt portability handling. libreoffice has plugins to use gtk or qt to render some decorations - like button bevels etc. and uses functions in qt or gtk to get it done. the toolkit is still its own compiled-in toolkit, so at best you get some half-baked similarity in look to your other qt or gtk apps, but the rest is still libreoffice (with the exceptions of the file selector which is a separate qt or gtk window where everything is fully baked).

Leave a comment:

• berolinux
    replied
    Originally posted by raster View Post
    libreoffice uses qt for its ui? HA!. no. where did you get that information?

$ ldd `find /usr/lib/libreoffice` | grep -i qt | wc -l
    Libreoffice *can* use Qt for rendering its UI, for KDE and LXQt style integration.
    Whether or not it actually does depends on the options you pass to configure at build time, and the plugins you have installed at runtime.

Qt rendering is done by libvclplug_kde4lo.so (many distributions package this separately so Qt users can see LO in the native style while others don't have to drag in a dependency on Qt).

As for Android support, ironically one of the things that would be the most painful are the Java bits in LO -- getting Dalvik/libART to run those bits is somewhat tricky.

Leave a comment:

• stiiixy
    replied
    Originally posted by erendorn View Post
    I have the same setup
    Plus a NUC for the TV, and well, the i5 raid box doesn't really count as low power, but it can run ouwncloud reasonably well in a VM, and probably idles at 15-20W.
    I've got a Asus C60M1 (Brazos, cost $60!) for my file-server. CPU's a little light and KDE on openSuse probably isn't the wisest choice =D (much waste of resources much!), but it's crackin along. Runs well in my dry-tropic environment, and quiet too.

I was considering a Raspberry Pi set up for the telly, something like this; http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Raspberry...item2c73c891c2.

Can take it anywhere, plug USB HDD's in for quick fix shows, or file copies, and next to nothing in power. Not to bad a price, I suppose. Not to sure about the NUC's as everyone's saying their a bit plicey for their performance?
    Last edited by stiiixy; 07 June 2014, 01:32 AM.

Leave a comment:

• stiiixy
    replied
    Originally posted by liam View Post
    I'll take EFL over qt anyday. Tizen could offer an android runtime unless there's some contractual issue.
    I honestly don't see sailfish making much headway. I think it more likely they'll put out a couple more phones then get acquired to and adapted for ivi use.
    Your vision of a mobile/desktop future is, mostly, here now with, as you say, Google, but also the new osx/iOS.
    Yeah, just watching all these OS' for maturity. Recently I was pleasantly surpised to find LibreOffice has it's own webservice which just tickled my fancy =D And someone said Sailfish's UI/UX (the non-qt and wayland parts) was closed? I thought the whole point was to open that up after Harmattan. Otherwise, wtf's the point!?

And I'm just, generally speaking, enjoying having all these services ready at my fingertips instead of using 'free' online ones. More power (in the app), more resources (in the hardware) etc. And everyone's reent favourite, privacy and peace-of-mind you're not entirely being raped for information to be sold back to you.

Now if out govvy could just pull their head out of thier arse and finish off the NBN (National Broadband Network) PROPERLY, and implement fibre everywhere instead of this ridiculous 'hybrid' system, I could retire happy knowing I can access my stuff almost as well as if I was local =D

Leave a comment:

• liam
    replied
    Originally posted by stiiixy View Post
    Sailfish? Native apps through Qt, HTML5 and Android. Can't lose, there. They're as open as open can be right now, especially with regards to the mobile universe. So yeah, not even same league technically speaking, as other the OS'.

Maemo, Meego, Mer and Sailfish are all same team as far as I am concerned, considering their code-base, grass-roots nature, goals and idealistic ethics. Maemo is on its own in reality, but again, the points I make and when you realise they're all doing something to target a market specifically until Sailfish which is built bottom's-up to expand from smallest (smartphones) up to mid (big tablets), it's usually no problem to build for lowest common denominator and with all the build systems being open, automation magic happens (at least you doe-monkey's make it seem like that!)

Just to throw it out there, I still wish for the day we get an OS and mobile device that can make calls, play movies, and can actually dock to my KB, mouse and monitor at home easily (BT was invented for a reason) for my officey things. The applications are already there, like Kingsoft (can't trust it, being free and closed binary from China...it's just not in line with their entire culture right now), Google Doc's any online office really so on so forth. The power in the mobile device is potentially awesome. Just need people to make it work. I can't stand this you only do serious work at a desktop BS. You crunch number's at a desk (supported by massive CPU/GPU/RAM/DISC systems if need be), you do everything else when and where you can. HTML5 tome is running the app on your device, but manipulating content on on Server X (yours, or hosted elsewheres), just like those 3D games that do the grunt work online.

Bring it on!
    I'll take EFL over qt anyday. Tizen could offer an android runtime unless there's some contractual issue.
    I honestly don't see sailfish making much headway. I think it more likely they'll put out a couple more phones then get acquired to and adapted for ivi use.
    Your vision of a mobile/desktop future is, mostly, here now with, as you say, Google, but also the new osx/iOS.

Leave a comment:

• raster
    replied
    Originally posted by zanny View Post
    Libreoffice does use Qt for its UI rendering, I wonder how much work it would take to port it to Qt on Android. Probably a lot. But at least it doesn't require a Java rewrite. You could dock it and use the desktop UI. And on all these competitor OSes, it would be much easier since Qt is their native app toolkit.
    libreoffice uses qt for its ui? HA!. no. where did you get that information?

$ ldd `find /usr/lib/libreoffice` | grep -i qt | wc -l

Leave a comment:

• erendorn
    replied
    Originally posted by stiiixy View Post
    Yeah I gotta get stuck in to making everything on my network, well, networked. Even with a shit slow Net connection. Hardware aside (I'm looking at ultra-low power ARM or AMD gear, but at a glance, neither seem to have 6+ SATA ports. I just want low-power read-storage), I just want it to happen, and get the bloody hell out of my way. 1/2 phones, desktop PC for gaming/heavy work with caching and RAID for such activities, and my low-power mostly-read storage server with net access VM's for bit's and pieces.
    I have the same setup
    Plus a NUC for the TV, and well, the i5 raid box doesn't really count as low power, but it can run ouwncloud reasonably well in a VM, and probably idles at 15-20W.

Leave a comment:

• brent
    replied
    Originally posted by dee. View Post
    No it's not.
    How so? With AOSP, I get a fully functioning Android. That doesn't seem to be possible yet with Sailfish OS, the whole UI part is closed source. A half-assed fallback UI like Nemo Mobile doesn't really cut it.

Leave a comment:

• stiiixy
    replied
    Originally posted by zanny View Post
    Libreoffice does use Qt for its UI rendering, I wonder how much work it would take to port it to Qt on Android. Probably a lot. But at least it doesn't require a Java rewrite. You could dock it and use the desktop UI. And on all these competitor OSes, it would be much easier since Qt is their native app toolkit.
    Yeah I gotta get stuck in to making everything on my network, well, networked. Even with a shit slow Net connection. Hardware aside (I'm looking at ultra-low power ARM or AMD gear, but at a glance, neither seem to have 6+ SATA ports. I just want low-power read-storage), I just want it to happen, and get the bloody hell out of my way. 1/2 phones, desktop PC for gaming/heavy work with caching and RAID for such activities, and my low-power mostly-read storage server with net access VM's for bit's and pieces.

Leave a comment:

• dee.
    replied
    Originally posted by Spittie View Post
    Android is more open (as in free/open software) than Sailfish OS, at least for now.
    No it's not.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X