Using PowerTOP 2.6 Saves Power, Extends Battery Life On Ubuntu 14.04

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by borsook View Post
    Yeah sure, but my question is more on the line is it worth to install powertop over laptopmode settings? It is clear that it is worth do something more than just stick to the default... but which?
    1) Don't use LaptopModeTools, its pretty much been abandoned. Everyone's moving/moved over to TLP.
    2) You're supposed to be TLP + PowerTop together, not just one or the other.
    All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by emerge-e-world View Post
      Create a simple service file, say /etc/systemd/system/powertop.service:

Code:
      [Unit]
      Description=PowerTop

[Service]
      Type=oneshot
      RemainAfterExit=yes
      ExecStart=/usr/sbin/powertop --auto-tune

[Install]
      WantedBy=multi-user.target
      To enable it at boot:
      $ systemctl enable powertop
      Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by emerge-e-world View Post
        you also need to add the following line to the [service] section, as powertop appearently needs a terminal to run:

Code:
        Environment="TERM=xterm"
        source: Arch Wiki - Powertop
        PowerTop uses ncurses, I suppose that even with --auto-tune, it's trying to init ncurses, which fails without terminal (real or faked by $TERM).

Comment

It might be a bad idea to enable some of the settings. On my laptop:
          - Intel HDA powersave causes an annoying "clicking" sound from speakers
          - USB powersave causes my mouse to stop working every 30 seconds

Comment

Originally posted by AnAkIn View Post
            It might be a bad idea to enable some of the settings. On my laptop:
            - Intel HDA powersave causes an annoying "clicking" sound from speakers
            - USB powersave causes my mouse to stop working every 30 seconds
            Try my kernels nad APM [instal NeteXt'73] - I resolved this problems

netext73.pl

Comment

A true energy management system

If you want to intelligently manage energy / performance / responsiveness of the system and hardware resources, it is proposed to install Our NeteXt'73 and install my solutions: one of the kernels - appropriate for the architecture, scripts managing energy and efficiency = APM and make appropriate entries in Grub, and also install the latest Linux firmware / microcode. Below videos of the action following system:

Notebook - MSi X370:
              APU AMD E-350 (1600 MHz),
              GPU: Radeon 6310,
              RAM: 4 GB DDR3
              Kernel: 3.14.4-ext73-f1-29.5-brazos-ags-cfs,
              enegią management: APM 3.4, entries in Grub, Linux-firmware/amd microcode,
              Drivers: Catalyst 14.4 [stable].

You can see how the system works by using profiles of performance-ondemand and performance-conservative - for APM. In the movies you can see how my APM gradually "quenches" individual devices and a decrease of energy consumption.

video-2

video-3

video-4

Comment

Originally posted by ext73 View Post
                If you want to intelligently manage energy / performance / responsiveness of the system and hardware resources, it is proposed to install Our NeteXt'73 and install my solutions: one of the kernels - appropriate for the architecture, scripts managing energy and efficiency = APM and make appropriate entries in Grub, and also install the latest Linux firmware / microcode. Below videos of the action following system:

Notebook - MSi X370:
                APU AMD E-350 (1600 MHz),
                GPU: Radeon 6310,
                RAM: 4 GB DDR3
                Kernel: 3.14.4-ext73-f1-29.5-brazos-ags-cfs,
                enegią management: APM 3.4, entries in Grub, Linux-firmware/amd microcode,
                Drivers: Catalyst 14.4 [stable].

You can see how the system works by using profiles of performance-ondemand and performance-conservative - for APM. In the movies you can see how my APM gradually "quenches" individual devices and a decrease of energy consumption.

video-2

video-3

video-4
                aha another important piece of information - while working on the battery practically everything in PowerTOP will be on Good [on AC everything will be on the 'Bad' - intentionally = full power of the machine] - almost as certainly 'VM writeback timeout' will be 'Bad' - here is my purposeful = value proposed by PowerTOP I consider "inappropriate". In addition, a certain portion of energy saving systems WiFi does not work - hence be 'Bad' = disabled functionality in the driver sources [Developers driver turned off] or the lack of such functionality at all. This works for sure in part Realtek drivers, Atcheros or all of Intel's ... well, unless you switch it off this functionality by NeteXt'73.
                Last edited by ext73; 24 May 2014, 05:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ext73 View Post
                  Try my kernels nad APM [instal NeteXt'73] - I resolved this problems

netext73.pl
                  Then it might be a good idea to send patches upstream if you solved them

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
                    1) Don't use LaptopModeTools, its pretty much been abandoned. Everyone's moving/moved over to TLP.
                    2) You're supposed to be TLP + PowerTop together, not just one or the other.
                    Which begs the question, which parts of the stack are to blame for users needing to install those 2 rather than have things working automatically ?

Comment

Powertop changes kernel default settings, which are decided by your distro.

Comment

Working...
                      X