Other Ways To Optimize Your Linux Battery Life

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

pervasive powersaving udev rules, throttle script, indicator-powersave

Last week I got a little manic about powersaving and condensed many sources recommendations into some useful tools.

All the details are in this post on the archlinux bbs.

Neither the udev rules, the script, nor the (optional, wip) indicator are archlinux-specific.

The udev rules use several wildcards and conditionals to effect setting powersaving modes across a large variety of devices with as few individual rules as possible. The script switches powersaving mode on and off at the user's discretion. The strictly optional indicator, which is really just a few patches--available in the AUR--against indicator-cpufreq, provides a
    GUI for the script.

Comment

Install laptop-mode-tools

On the stock ubuntu 12.04 my power usage went from 13watts to 9.5watts.

Enjoy.

Comment

LMT is deprecated. TLP is the way to go. And its automatic.

@savvys
        There's a ton of possible tweaks. Which are NOT implemented by TLP?
        When TLP is active Powertop shows no tweaks are enabled. What does it mean? I'm asking because no other scripting tools can be used in parallel to TLP.

Comment

Originally posted by ext73 View Post
          Energy - Kubuntu 14.04 - idle mode - Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro:

640 mW = 0.6 watts - kernel v28.8-i7-pro - other solutions referred to above

301 mW> 0.3 watts - kernel v29.0-i7-pro - Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro + other solutions which

That machine has a 50Wh battery, so 640mW draw works out at 78 hours (over three days) battery life. What's that ? active standby, with everything bar the CPU turned off? Even for that I'm impressed. Sure something's not wrong with that figure?

Comment

Originally posted by Cyborg16 View Post
            That machine has a 50Wh battery, so 640mW draw works out at 78 hours (over three days) battery life. What's that ? active standby, with everything bar the CPU turned off? Even for that I'm impressed. Sure something's not wrong with that figure?
            As I wrote here we have the result in idle mode = machine "nothing" does not and has blanked the screen - this is a screenshot after the activation. During normal operation, such as active: Chrome, LibreOffice, console, etc., gets about 5-7 watts - this in my series of kernels Premium - here i7-pro - Dedicated for Intel Haswell family. Similarly X370 - AMD APU E-350 in idle mode from 3.8 to 4.5 Watt, and from 5.90 to 7 watts during eg typing text into LibreOffice or viewing pages on which there is little flash.

greetings

Comment

Working...
            X