ASUS Zenbook UX301LA: A Nice Intel Ultrabook For Linux Users

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Boudin View Post
    Another advantage of Asus for a Linux laptop is that they easily reimburse windows licence (at least in France, I think it's also possible for office one but I never had to do it) wich can have some impact on the final price. You don't need to send your computer back or this kind of thing.
    In euro, I had 42€ back for a windows 8 home licence, it's a little more than 82 € for a windows 8 pro licence.
    Is this also applicable to other European countries? I was going to buy a Lenovo laptop, but I found that they'd refuse to refund me the "Windows tax". Even if they only refund me just 1€, I just want to show them there's some demand for non-Windows machines.

Comment

Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post
      ... this homogenous everybody-copy-Apple styling of consumer laptops is lame and boring.
      As opposed to the almost universally ugly and blocky styling of business laptops? I've been quite happy with our higher-end business HPs and Dells over the years, but I sure wouldn't mind if they were nicer to look at. Not that aesthetics would have any appreciable effect on our choice of hardware in contrast to more relevent specs like price, build quality, support and warranty...

Comment

Originally posted by newwen View Post
        Is this also applicable to other European countries? I was going to buy a Lenovo laptop, but I found that they'd refuse to refund me the "Windows tax". Even if they only refund me just 1?, I just want to show them there's some demand for non-Windows machines.
        I do not know. You should contact Asus technical support or directly try to send an email at the adress I provided before. I don't know id they'll answer to a non-french message though. If you got no answer from both and you don't speak french, I could ask if you want.

I told wrong things in my previous posts, you have 14 days after purchase to ask for reimbursement and windows 8 pro is reimbursed 80?.

If you want more informations about different policies concerning windows 8 licences, there's this french site (I didn't find one for other countries). As for Asus, everything here may only apply for France... :
        http://bons-constructeurs-ordinateurs.info

Comment

I wish the peecee laptop makers would innovate and create their own designs, instead of their current fad: copy everything Apple does. This asus laptop is a blatent Macbook Air clone. Everything from the lightly recessed chiclet-style keyboard, to the metal outer skin, to the gently sloping wedge shape of the chassis. A casual stroll through Best Buy reveals every peecee manufacturer doing the same. It's difficult in fact, to find a consumer laptop that isn't a blatent rip-off of Apple's design.

Don't get me wrong, I'm no fan of Apple (don't own a single product from them) but this homogenous everybody-copy-Apple styling of consumer laptops is lame and boring.
          Chiclet was first implemented (for a modern laptop) on a VAIO in 2004.
          Metal skin just works better for thin laptops (skin part of the chassis)
          Sloping wedge is like, obvious design. It makes things look thinner, with easier edges (easier to put in bags and all). That's like complaining about rounded phones, or cars.
          Then they all have a screen, etc..

It's not really copy, just that customers all have the same expectations, and all manufacturers the same constraints.

Comment

I wish the peecee laptop makers would innovate and create their own designs, instead of their current fad: copy everything Apple does. This asus laptop is a blatent Macbook Air clone. Everything from the lightly recessed chiclet-style keyboard, to the metal outer skin, to the gently sloping wedge shape of the chassis. A casual stroll through Best Buy reveals every peecee manufacturer doing the same. It's difficult in fact, to find a consumer laptop that isn't a blatent rip-off of Apple's design.

Don't get me wrong, I'm no fan of Apple (don't own a single product from them) but this homogenous everybody-copy-Apple styling of consumer laptops is lame and boring.
            You could check out the Razor designs. They look a little Appley but that's just because they are thin. The keyboard and control design is unique.

Alienware laptops have a sort of unique look as well.

If you're going to say that you don't like the looks of those, well then it is no wonder every manufacturer is copying Apple.

I don't think that I've ever talked to anyone who didn't like the looks of an Apple iPad, Macbook or iMac. They just look awesome. Thin, metallic and glossy, they look like something that belongs in a sci-fi movie.

Comment

I would hate to deal with a Windows license. Isn't there anyone selling similar higher end lappies with Linux preinstalled? Like the Dell developer laptop, or perhaps System76, Zareason, etc? Of course, this varies from country to country ...

Comment

Originally posted by Zan Lynx View Post
                I don't think that I've ever talked to anyone who didn't like the looks of an Apple iPad, Macbook or iMac. They just look awesome. Thin, metallic and glossy, they look like something that belongs in a sci-fi movie.
                I don't find them attractive. Mainly because I hate the white colour.

Comment

Originally posted by Zan Lynx View Post
                  Specifically Star Trek 2009, AKA "Apple Store"

Comment

i wonder how good the keyboard and trackpad are.

Also, 3-4H battery life "normal usage" seems terrible :|

competition, while not using a 4558U, lasts 6h+ (and macs even more)

Michael is mentioning he keeps latops 1 to to year (12-24mo), then 12-18mo, then at the end of the article, hes replacing it early 2015 - ie 8 month.

8 month is a big diff with 24 month an generally tells me he likes the laptop but not that much.

Comment

My experiences and review of the laptop...

My experiences with this laptop...

I bought this laptop less than 4 months ago and unfortunately have had a terrible experience so far.

The laptop is great when it works but I believe mine has hardware issues and that it may be common on these zenbooks.

My laptop has major power issues varying from:
                      a) Enters a coma state when you suspend or shutdown and then one can't switch it on. It just seems completely dead. Then sometimes or after a few hours, weeks or months it switches back on.
                      b) While working on the laptop it instantly switches off like it lost power.
                      c) When switching it on sometimes first boot it seems to switch on but the screen doesn't turn on and keyboard doesn't respond. Another off and on usually fixes this.

In less than 4 months I've already sent the laptop in for repairs twice to Asus outsourced repair centre and received really awful service.
                      First time they replaced the board.
                      Second time it apprently miraculously switched itself on when they tried it.

These power related issues are reported in many places.
                      To name just a few
                      Thank you for visiting the TechnologyGuide network. Unfortunately, these forums are no longer active. We extend a heartfelt thank you to the entire community for their steadfast support—it is really you, our readers, that drove

Problem Description Zenbook Prime ( UX31A) users may notice the computer occasionally turning off without warning. The shutdown is unexpec...

I really love the laptop though and wish it would work. Will try a swap out though I'm really not feeling confident about this.
                      By the time I get a working one, my warranty will likely be near end of life...

When using ArchLinux+KDE my experiences with Linux support hasn't been that great though.
                      - Bluetooth doesn't work on first boot. Bluetooth adapter not detected on boot. Some firmware initialising error. A suspend and resume fixing the bluetooth issue.
                      - Once resumed Bluetooth works fine but the wifi light goes off. Wifi still works, however after 1 - 4 hours, wifi gives IO errors and requires a reboot. This only occurs if one done the suspend and resume fix for bluetooth.
                      - When using kde and kscreen, switching between internal and external display (one on one off) is a real pain and very inconsistent and buggy. Many times it gets stuck and no displays are activated etc.
                      - HiDPI is a major issue in Linux, especially when mixing with an external non HiDPI screen. KDE support is not that great.
                      - Before first motherboard change, the builtin RAID worked great. However since it came back I couldn't get it to work as described here. I suspect it's some hardware issue and settled for standard mdadm. Details here: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=1389788
                      I'm not really concerened about any of the software linux issues, these will all be addressed and resolved in time I'm sure or with some sort of workarond.

WRT USB ports and HDMI connector, I also purchased a microHDMI to HDMI adapter which blocked the USB port. The solution is simple, by a HDMI to microHDMI cable, the plug is tiny, neat and perfect.

Comment

Working...
                      X