My New Linux Ultrabook: The ASUS Zenbook UX301LA-DH71T

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by elapsed View Post
    I'd be interested in seeing what kind of framerate this pulls for casual gameplay like TF2.
    Not really casual gameplay...

It's not that lightweight.

Comment

nice michael, please use your iris pro for every benchmark from now on.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
        It's not a core i7.

Just saying.
        Why exactly is it not an i7? I know intel's naming schemes are a bit confusing, but that really is an i7.

Comment

Originally posted by widardd View Post
          nice michael, please use your iris pro for every benchmark from now on.
          It will just be used for the benchmarks in the next week or two but after that it will be seldom used since this is my main production system and don't run unstable code on it and am very conservative when it comes to my main system.
          Michael Larabel
          https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

That purchase sent money to Microsoft, shame on you!

Comment

mostly interested in the battery life test under linux

Comment

I was really considering that laptop. However, there are several gripes with this shiny piece of ASUS hardware when you consider the price tag:

Hard facts
                - CPU TDP: 28W
                This is much too high for a notebook, and is causing heavy throttling after a few minutes of load, while the temperatures still climb above 90?C
                In-depth review of the Asus Zenbook Infinity UX301 (Intel Core i7 4558U, Intel Iris Graphics 5100, 13.3 inches, 1.4 kg) with numerous measurements, benchmarks and evaluations

- Max. RAM: 8GB non-upgradeable
                Sorry, that's less than half the amount I expect from a successor 4 years after my current notebook was able to pack the same.
                - Max. storage: 256 GiB non-upgradeable
                Nope, not enough. Double that, at least.
                - Battery life: 8 hours claimed
                Well, that's not even 70% of what I'm used to from my old laptop.

Soft facts
                - Service:
                Asus is not known for good customer care. Give me 3 years on-site warranty for a small premium, then I'll settle for it.
                - Docking station: not available
                Connecting it to all the different peripheral devices at home or in the office would freak me out. I hate having to connect cables, at the same time I avoid wireless devices at all cost, so a docking station is really nice to have (and should be self-explanatory at that price tag).
                - Mirroring display:
                While the resolution and IPS panel are the most tempting things about this piece, the glossy finish is extremely bad for the one task a laptop should be optimised for: being mobile in all kinds of situations. Maybe you can find a shadowy spot in a park or your favourite cafe, but on a train with constant change of light it is the worst possible thing imaginable.
                - Trackpoint: none
                Needs no explanation.

Alas, I am still unable to settle for a laptop that would do any better than my current X200s, which is, apart from peak performance and display resolution (still better than most of the bunch available today) better in these disciplines.
                Last edited by genstorm; 08 March 2014, 05:44 PM.

Comment

Hope Asus sorted the keyboard issues.
                  The first couple on generations of Zenbook haven't aged well at all.

Comment

Originally posted by genstorm View Post
                    I was really considering that laptop. However, there are several gripes with this shiny piece of ASUS hardware when you consider the price tag:

Hard facts
                    - Max. RAM: 8GB non-upgradeable
                    Sorry, that's less than half the amount I expect from a successor 4 years after my current notebook was able to pack the same.
                    - Max. storage: 256 GiB non-upgradeable
                    Nope, not enough. Double that, at least.
                    - Battery life: 8 hours claimed
                    Well, that's not even 70% of what I'm used to from my old laptop.
                    Memory: What the hell are you even going to use more than 8GB's for on a normal desktop? Even compiling all of android takes AT MOST 16Gb's and how many of us are doing that on a LAPTOP?

Hard drive: You'd be surprised. My Dell XPS 13z was marked "non-upgradeable" too, in fact it was even advertised as "soldered on", when the reality is it just hooks into a mSATA slot. So unless you've got a teardown showing that it is infact soldered on, don't assume its not upgradeable. Besides, 512GB's of SSD storage is horrifically expensive, it'd probably easily kick this laptop up to like $2500.

Battery: What the HELL was your old laptop if it was getting 11+ hours of battery life off of one battery? (You can't compare 2 batteries battery life vs 1 battery battery life) The only thing Ive even heard of at that rating is the brand new MacBook Air.
                    All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
                      Memory: What the hell are you even going to use more than 8GB's for on a normal desktop? Even compiling all of android takes AT MOST 16Gb's and how many of us are doing that on a LAPTOP?
                      VMs, photo/video editing, and yes, compiling packages for Gentoo, use cases where I also like to have a big Ramdisk at hand - 8GB are good, but 16GB are better today already. And as a matter of principle, not even being able to upgrade it some time in the future _in_theory_ is a big letdown. And as a matter of fact, my CPU does not even think of throttling down when it's ploughing through a build. Ultrabook cooling units are notoriously under-dimensioned.

Hard drive: You'd be surprised. My Dell XPS 13z was marked "non-upgradeable" too, in fact it was even advertised as "soldered on", when the reality is it just hooks into a mSATA slot. So unless you've got a teardown showing that it is infact soldered on, don't assume its not upgradeable. Besides, 512GB's of SSD storage is horrifically expensive, it'd probably easily kick this laptop up to like $2500.
                      The SSDs inside the Asus seem to be proprietary OEM parts. Good luck finding upgrades.
                      I just recently upped storage space of my X200s to 750GB, relatively inexpensive after the recent SSD price drops (it was well below € 400,- including tax).

Battery: What the HELL was your old laptop if it was getting 11+ hours of battery life off of one battery? (You can't compare 2 batteries battery life vs 1 battery battery life) The only thing Ive even heard of at that rating is the brand new MacBook Air.
                      One single 9-cell battery is good for 12 hours claimed battery time on my laptop, which translates into a little bit less of practical uptime. Yes, reality 4-5 years ago, and only 100g heavier than that trendy Ultrabook.

Comment

Working...
                      X