Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Samsung Laptops Will Soon See Better Linux Performance, Less Bugs

Phoronix: Samsung Laptops Will Soon See Better Linux Performance, Less Bugs

The performance of several different Samsung laptop models will soon improve under Linux thanks to an important kernel fix that will appear in the Linux 3.15 kernel. This important patch addresses some ACPI issues and system performance issues for multiple Samsung laptops that have plagued Linux for at least two years...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

The fix to the reported bug is removing the battery and hitting the reset button...
    and they are *still* selling mobile phones with sealed batteries (yes, I know we are talking about laptops here)

Comment

Ultimately we WANT low power state (I'm not sure about s3 since there maybe new power states that were defined fit just this purpose with the new acpi) interrupts so we can still do work. I know Linux isn't quite ready to do this but I wanted to mention it.
      The question is, of windows is dumping the buffer why was it ever filling it to begin with? Is this simply a faulty design?

Comment

Originally posted by liam View Post
        The question is, of windows is dumping the buffer why was it ever filling it to begin with? Is this simply a faulty design?
        Yes.

Lots of trouble with Samsung laptops, even on Windows. I've been experiencing all kinds of problems on 4 models recently, some seem to relate to this.

I have a simpler solution to this problem that I like better: Don't buy Samsung laptops. They are all shit.

Comment

Originally posted by liam View Post
          Ultimately we WANT low power state (I'm not sure about s3 since there maybe new power states that were defined fit just this purpose with the new acpi) interrupts so we can still do work. I know Linux isn't quite ready to do this but I wanted to mention it.
          I'm not sure I follow. S3 is suspend-to-ram, I don't see why the OS should care about recorded events in the EC in that case (i.e. IMO the buffer should be flushed in SMM by the firmware when going out of S3, not by the OS, so IMO it really isn't a problem with Linux). What do you mean when you say "Linux isn't quite ready to do this"?
          Last edited by Pseus; 05 March 2014, 08:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jntesteves View Post
            Don't buy Samsung
            Fix'd.

Comment

So you broke the bottom part to open the laptop ?

I was about to do the same, cuz it gets frustrating, but there're plenty of youtube videos showing how to open them.

Comment

Originally posted by Pseus View Post
                I'm not sure I follow. S3 is suspend-to-ram, I don't see why the OS should care about recorded events in the EC in that case (i.e. IMO the buffer should be flushed in SMM by the firmware when going out of S3, not by the OS, so IMO it really isn't a problem with Linux). What do you mean when you say "Linux isn't quite ready to do this"?
                As I said "perhaps not s3" (I simply don't recall the names and functions of each power state...that said, WoWlan can be triggered while in s3 and, in samsung's case, that signal may be passed through the ec). What I'm referring to is the fairly new ability for windows to engage in what they call connected standby (http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials...dows-8-pc.html).
                I think it was matthew garrett that spoke about this some time ago on his blog.

Comment

Working...
                X