No announcement yet.

Broadcom's New Open-Source GPU Stack Earns Praise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kindergarden ... All the cool kids boo libv.

Comment

Originally posted by bnolsen View Post
      Isn't this just a dead GPU that had already been end of lifed? I think that describes the rpi SOC in general, even when the rpi was released.
      It's the same GPU that's used in the latest SoCs Broadcom has released, which are still being developed and shipped in new products. It's a few years old and not high-end any more, but it still seems to be competitive at the middler/lower end of the performance/power/cost scale, so it's certainly not dead yet.

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
      Interesting. I looked over the Wikipedia list on what products use VideoCore and their xda-developers pages, and the drivers are certainly making a difference for the Galaxy Y/Ace i crowd, as those fairly old smartphones are now getting an update to a relatively new version of Android. The more interesting hardware, though, is Galaxy S II Plus and Galaxy Grand, and I can't see much information on whether the docs help there.
      The released code is basically the code that shipped on the Galaxy Y/Ace, so it should be easy to get working there. But I think it's a fairly distant relative of the binary-blob code shipped on Raspberry Pi, and even more distant to the code that shipped on the more recent S II Plus / Grand, so it seems likely to be similarly challenging to port to any of those platforms. (And Samsung already announced Android 4.4 support for Galaxy Grand, so there's less motivation to port to that.)

Comment

Originally posted by Philip View Post
        The released code is basically the code that shipped on the Galaxy Y/Ace, so it should be easy to get working there. But I think it's a fairly distant relative of the binary-blob code shipped on Raspberry Pi, and even more distant to the code that shipped on the more recent S II Plus / Grand, so it seems likely to be similarly challenging to port to any of those platforms. (And Samsung already announced Android 4.4 support for Galaxy Grand, so there's less motivation to port to that.)
        That's good to know. Challenging doesn't mean impossible, and this could help in the future, for both new Android versions and alternative OSs.

Comment

Originally posted by Kemosabe View Post
          Kindergarden ... All the cool kids boo libv.
          I'm not booing him, i'm just saying that he probably throws in an anti-AMD rant in over 50% of the things he writes. It's not exactly shocking to therefore see him claim that these guys are better than AMD. It'd kind of be shocking to see the reverse, actually.

Comment

Working...
          X