Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu Has Two Phone Partners, Launching In 2014

Phoronix: Ubuntu Has Two Phone Partners, Launching In 2014

Mark Shuttleworth has just revealed there's two manufacturing partners for Ubuntu Mobile and they will have devices shipping in 2014...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Bq is pretty interesting, they have a line of phones and tablets that have high-end feel and most of its performance and features for reasonable prices.

Comment

BQS37

The BQS37 looks like the Android on Nokia hardware phone that everyone has been wanting.

Comment

It'd be nice if one of them makes a good quality slider phone with decent performance. I may import it to use as a UMPC.

With Bay Trail, I've been hoping for the comeback of slider UMPCs like the OQO (below) and install Linux on it when things work better on it.

An Ubuntu phone/UMPC may be good enough. Although, I'd still like a mouse pointer. I wonder how high end these phones will be and maybe include a Wacom digitizer and stowable stylus.

Comment

Originally posted by guido12 View Post
          It'd be nice if one of them makes a good quality slider phone with decent performance. I may import it to use as a UMPC.
          People are working on a slider keyboard Other Half for Jolla.

Comment

BQ is Chinese manufacturer

The journey of BQ mobiles started in 2006 when Mr. Tao Yin– the founder and CEO of the company founded a R&D center in Shenzhen and started providing PCBA to integrators, brands, operators around the world.

Comment

Originally posted by Ramiliez View Post
              BQ is Chinese manufacturer
              I was wondering that, too. Low cost electronics OEM based in Europe doesn't sound feasible. The hardware would be way to expensive.

Comment

actually there is an european bq in Spain that sells smartphones:

Comment

I am growing tired of announcements that includes no information other than "we are going to do it this year". What kind of specs are we expecting? What kind of pricing? Are they going to have docking stations and work as a desktop in your pocket?

Comment

It's BQReaders (http://www.bqreaders.com/gb/), based in Spain making the handset and not BQMobile, which is based in India/China.

Comment

Working...
                    X