Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jolla Ports Sailfish OS To Google Nexus 4

Phoronix: Jolla Ports Sailfish OS To Google Nexus 4

For those that have been wanting to try out the Linux-based Mer-derived Qt-friendly Sailfish OS but are unable to obtain Jolla's first, expensive, and limited quantity phone, the Finnish company is porting Sailfish OS to Google's Nexus devices...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Nice! It would be great if these alternative (to the device's default) mobile OS's were easier to install regardless of the device, in order to bring new life to old hardware that is no longer updated by the manufacturer. Right now the only alternative is one of the many custom builds of Android.

Comment

Originally posted by devius View Post
      Right now the only alternative is one of the many custom builds of Android.
      You don't want to install Ubuntu Touch or Firefox OS on your Nexus 4?

Comment

Originally posted by Veerappan View Post
        You don't want to install Ubuntu Touch or Firefox OS on your Nexus 4?
        Ubuntu Touch I'll try when it's a little more feature complete. From what I've been reading it still needs some work. As for Firefox OS I didn't know it was possible to install it on the Nexus 4

But, what I was talking about was the freedom we have right now with our PCs. We can install any OS we'd like, but in the mobile world, there are very few devices that allow installing more than 1 OS. Sure the Nexus 4 seems to be a standard test device for new mobile OSs, but what about other devices? The picture isn't as rosy there unfortunately.

Comment

Jolla OS provides compatibility with android apps right? Is this compatibility layer open source? I wonder if it could be ported to other linux distros...

Comment

Originally posted by Figueiredo View Post
            Jolla OS provides compatibility with android apps right? Is this compatibility layer open source? I wonder if it could be ported to other linux distros...
            No AlienDalvik from Myriad Group is not open source and won't be included into community ports. It's licensed technology. Would be cool if you could just purchas a license and install it on your Sailfish Nexus 4 afterwards.

Kind of surprising no one ever attempted to make a Free version of this. Davlik and ART source code is out there. Would even prefer something like FreeART, because the new ART just compiles every app ahead of time into machine code which leads to dramatic speed improvements. I tested ART with Android 4.4.2 on my Galaxy Nexus the phone is extremely fast now.

Comment

All my friends mocked me for getting a year-old phone when I bought my phone, but this is why I got it! Dual booting UT and Android atm (I want Strava, otherwise I could go full UT), will maybe try this out, will be way more feature-complete than Ubuntu Touch.

It is a shame that phones are so locked down, but I think it is a very intentional thing right from the start (iPhone onwards, I doubt Nokia ever envisioned this).

Comment

While i understand that they are trying to spread their OS this way i believe it's better to buy the official phone if you can. Its quite a nice device. Number junkies won't be satisfied with it not having all the bigest numbers but after playing with it the last two days it feels nice. Some things are not there yet but its really promising and i believe that with the next two-three updates it will be ok.

Comment

Originally posted by devius View Post
                  Ubuntu Touch I'll try when it's a little more feature complete. From what I've been reading it still needs some work. As for Firefox OS I didn't know it was possible to install it on the Nexus 4

But, what I was talking about was the freedom we have right now with our PCs. We can install any OS we'd like, but in the mobile world, there are very few devices that allow installing more than 1 OS. Sure the Nexus 4 seems to be a standard test device for new mobile OSs, but what about other devices? The picture isn't as rosy there unfortunately.
                  ARM isn't standardized enough yet, ARM SoC design is supposed to be alot more standardized across SoC manufacturers with the 64 bit A57 and A53 based chips due out later this year.

Then theres the problem of things like GPU drivers which none of the current companies are willing to put down docs on.

Much of this should start to get cleaned up once AMD launches their ARM based SoCs, yes, the Seattle series Cortex-A57 chips are targeting servers first, but if you think AMD doesn't want a cut of the mobile device market your head isn't on straight.

Comment

didn't even hear of ART

Originally posted by blackout23 View Post
                    No AlienDalvik from Myriad Group is not open source and won't be included into community ports. It's licensed technology. Would be cool if you could just purchas a license and install it on your Sailfish Nexus 4 afterwards.

Kind of surprising no one ever attempted to make a Free version of this. Davlik and ART source code is out there. Would even prefer something like FreeART, because the new ART just compiles every app ahead of time into machine code which leads to dramatic speed improvements. I tested ART with Android 4.4.2 on my Galaxy Nexus the phone is extremely fast now.
                    Thanks, I didn't even know that there was such a thing aiming to replace Dalvik. But what do you mean by FreeART ?

Comment

Working...
                    X