No announcement yet.

It Looks Like Ubuntu's First Phone Might Be For China

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's some crazy good specs! I hope it comes out, I'd love to get one off of ebay!

Comment

Meizu is planning to start selling phones to western markets this year so you may even be able to buy one of these without having to import one. Companies like ZTE and Huewei have become big in western markets, this year xiamoi, meizu and jaiyu will be trying to break into western markets. Xiamoi is the chinese equivalent of Apple btw, they are huge.

Comment

I'll believe it when I see it... call me cynical, but Canonical has a history of grand announcements that never go anywhere.

Maybe this time this phone thing will actually happen? Who knows...

Comment

They want to make sure they have all the variables correct as in;

* 13mp camera with 4K recording. real focus and stabilisation.
          * 4G, LTE
          * Hi-Res screen
          * Look into stylus option

Comment

Originally posted by dee. View Post
            I'll believe it when I see it... call me cynical, but Canonical has a history of grand announcements that never go anywhere.

Maybe this time this phone thing will actually happen? Who knows...
            I call You culturally and/or linguistically blind.

Go read about Dell opening stores in China ... for Ubuntu.
            Then go check Ubuntu Kylinx.
            Next check China populace WITH smartphones already bought.
            And last but not least go check where INNOVATION in smartphones land first, whos second, and who is last...

Not saying that they will outcompete Android (clones) or other China-made OS'es right away. Just that Ubuntu presence in China is strong.
            Which You discard because You can not check it first hand (language barrier) and because You interpolate based on Your local market and Ubuntu presence therein (cultural barrier)

Comment

Originally posted by e8hffff View Post
              They want to make sure they have all the variables correct as in;

* 13mp camera with 4K recording. real focus and stabilisation.
              * 4G, LTE
              * Hi-Res screen
              * Look into stylus option
              1) Overkill. If you need such stuff, smartphones are last thing You need. Batteries will not simply hold.
              2) 4G, LTE in China? Maybe in this year. Maybe not in the next few.
              3) OK
              4) Duno if China alphabet is easy for stylus like operation.

And You ommited:

5) English support

Comment

Originally posted by przemoli View Post
                I call You culturally and/or linguistically blind.
                ?
                dont mind the naysayers.
                canonical is putting a lot of effort into this attempt now. i am confident this will be the first step for the device range from mobile/tablet to tv to desktop

Comment

I'm one of those who don't know much about what's popular in China so does anyone know if slider keyboards and removeable batteries are popular there? I ask because it would be nice to import such a device running Ubuntu Touch.

Comment

the article comment is slightly racist and condescending be kind to your new masters

sorry Michael I appreciate all your hard work i really do but your comment was unnecessary

China has 1 Billion People.
                    One of the fastest if not THE fastest growing economies on earth.
                    A natural suspicion now fully proven of the west and its dark surveillance techniques mean no trust for Microsoft / Apple / Google / Cisco / HP and countless others
                    A desire to run Opensource code that can be poured over by their own agents ( for good or bad)

For me it means Canonical make a shit ton of money. And that means they have the resources to make an OS that takes me away from Google for good. I already ditched Microsoft like many.

In the end my storage, network , streaming, phone and desktop and gaming box are all Opensource

You must see this as a positive incentive for continuation of real open source hardware products as computing evolves to more exotic hardware

Comment

Originally posted by phill1978 View Post
                      the article comment is slightly racist and condescending be kind to your new masters

sorry Michael I appreciate all your hard work i really do but your comment was unnecessary

China has 1 Billion People.
                      One of the fastest if not THE fastest growing economies on earth.
                      A natural suspicion now fully proven of the west and its dark surveillance techniques mean no trust for Microsoft / Apple / Google / Cisco / HP and countless others
                      A desire to run Opensource code that can be poured over by their own agents ( for good or bad)

For me it means Canonical make a shit ton of money. And that means they have the resources to make an OS that takes me away from Google for good. I already ditched Microsoft like many.

In the end my storage, network , streaming, phone and desktop and gaming box are all Opensource

You must see this as a positive incentive for continuation of real open source hardware products as computing evolves to more exotic hardware
                      How is pointing out that the anti-chinese mentality is common in western cultures, racist? Is it homophobic to point out that the american south and midwest is very intolerate of homosexuals?

Comment

Working...
                      X