Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Free Software Foundation Endorses Its First Laptop

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    Originally posted by Sonadow View Post
    That sounds great on paper until the real truth hits; most people do not know how to made source-level modifications to Coreboot. In fact, not just coreboot, but just about any FOSS software available.
    They can pay a programmer to do modifications for them. Problem solved!

    Comment


    • #32
      Originally posted by dee. View Post
      They can pay a programmer to do modifications for them. Problem solved!
      The guy said he didn't want to derail more the thread. I respected this will and continued via PM. I reminded him of that option (or at least so I think, I had written a long answer before reading about him not wanting to keep the OT so I rewritten it as a PM, I might have forgotten some details in the way), if you are concerned about that, but please let that conversation end already (on this thread, I mean, maybe opening a thread for it makes sense).

      Comment


      • #33
        Originally posted by Astronaut In Orbit View Post
        Are you aware that the Gnu is a phallic idol of Richard Stallman, and that he forbids the use of the phrase "open source", and acts like a thought-police on this in emails? And that he is indeed no proponent of freedom, and any hacker is only enslaved by his brainwashing, that even is feeble statements like "free is libre is beer is not open is".. grey and dull fantasyworld established by idolatry
        ....

        Peace Be With You.
        Hello, Ove Karsten - in - Orbit. Should I remind you, that by creating second account, you are evading website ban here?
        For a refresh, the reasons you were banned by public voting were using of sexual definitions and profanity to accuse phoronix members. I see you are back in a much more "researched" fashion.
        If you love RMS, write him a love email, but I don't want to depress you as I am pretty sure he is either straight or keeps zolibate.


        Originally posted by Sonadow View Post
        So that's the whole aim isn't it? Linux-exclusive hardware.

        If that's what Linux users want, then they better have the balls to admit that 'freedom' was never their goal, and exclusivity is. Lest they forget what is the real meaning of freedom as defined by their own idol Stallman:
        Windows already runs within windows-exclusive hardware and has numerous times tried to do a lock-in, first with TPM, now with inSecureboot. This is as locked-in as it gets.

        Also, just because your crappy windows is not supported, it is not Linux-exclusive as your define it.
        Its quite similar to "we support windows only"-phrase when any talk about Linux support, so come, in get it right back in your face.

        Originally posted by Sonadow View Post
        If Coreboot limits me from running any other operating system on a machine that is loaded with it, it is effectively depriving me of the freedom to use it for any purpose. Thus the machine that it is loaded on is not freedom-respecting hardware and by extension, Linux-exclusive hardware are not freedom-respecting hardware.
        Coreboot allows reflashing and its open to modifications, but you are too occupied with derailing and trolling thats impossible to understand that.

        Comment


        • #34
          Originally posted by mrugiero View Post
          The guy said he didn't want to derail more the thread. I respected this will and continued via PM. I reminded him of that option (or at least so I think, I had written a long answer before reading about him not wanting to keep the OT so I rewritten it as a PM, I might have forgotten some details in the way), if you are concerned about that, but please let that conversation end already (on this thread, I mean, maybe opening a thread for it makes sense).
          Should we make a deal??

          I mean, for real.

          If our local pro-m$$ wintroll sonic hedgehog starts trolling or derailing again, can we agree to open a bantopic for him?

          Because, he has never ever posted any support inquiry about Linux ever, if you didn't notice.

          Originally posted by dee. View Post
          They can pay a programmer to do modifications for them. Problem solved!
          Yes, you can. But not SonicHedgehog. Because he does not have money, due to being occupied with trolling here 24/7.
          brosis
          Senior Member
          Last edited by brosis; 20 December 2013, 06:09 AM.

          Comment


          • #35
            Originally posted by pgeorgi View Post
            We were way behind on our supported mainboards page, which is why we rebuilt it to state which boards were actually tested, instead of an outdated list of boards that theoretically work.

            A few semi-recent boards are: kontron ktqm77, asus f2a85-m, asrock e350m1, all x86-based chromebooks.
            Notebooks are unfortunately harder to support, so it's only the chromebook series for now.
            Not sure if the troll mentioned in a post some what above was meant for me, but I was truly interested in the status of last(ish)-gen MoBo's coreboot support. Thanks for the reply, just 1 question, where are the reports on the ktqm77 in the coreboot project? - I can't find it. I think it's awesome that a intel board is being supported. I'm waiting for a 4th generation i-core: Haswell mITX board, for a new project. hearing that the ktqm77 is supported makes me very optimistic for a ktqm87 (or whatever it will be called).

            Comment


            • #36
              At last, now Stallman can upgrade from his Lemote Yeeloong ;-)

              Comment


              • #37
                Originally posted by brosis View Post
                Should we make a deal??

                I mean, for real.

                If our local pro-m$$ wintroll sonic hedgehog starts trolling or derailing again, can we agree to open a bantopic for him?

                Because, he has never ever posted any support inquiry about Linux ever, if you didn't notice.
                I didn't notice, but even if that's true, he is entitled to his opinion. Also, I'm not mandating you respect his decision, I'm asking. If you don't, well, don't. I expect him not to answer, though.

                Comment


                • #38
                  Originally posted by shaurz View Post
                  At last, now Stallman can upgrade from his Lemote Yeeloong ;-)
                  Indeed. Given that the FSF could not recommend any x86 devices at all before, it's a pretty huge milestone. It's also interesting that someone is actually taking up retrofitting computers with Coreboot.

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    Originally posted by uwgandalf View Post
                    where are the reports on the ktqm77 in the coreboot project? - I can't find it.
                    We're too busy supporting hardware, so we don't write announcements *cough* (in fact we're just too lazy).
                    The definitive guide to supported hardware is the source tree: http://review.coreboot.org/gitweb?p=...ktqm77;hb=HEAD

                    Originally posted by uwgandalf View Post
                    I think it's awesome that a intel board is being supported.
                    It doesn't come without downsides. For ktqm77 we've piggy-packed onto Google's efforts and reused the MRC binary they managed to release.

                    Originally posted by uwgandalf View Post
                    I'm waiting for a 4th generation i-core: Haswell mITX board, for a new project. hearing that the ktqm77 is supported makes me very optimistic for a ktqm87 (or whatever it will be called).
                    There actually _is_ a ktqm87, so don't wait for support on that. For one, it seems Google didn't manage to repeat the MRC binary legal hack, so you'd have to scrape the binary of a shipped Google device (such as http://review.coreboot.org/gitweb?p=...config;hb=HEAD).

                    There might be some support for Haswell through FSP (http://www.intel.com/fsp) in the future, but so far those binaries are only for Ivy Bridge. Other than that, Intel is quite unfriendly to us coreboot developers, and compared to AMD's involvement, even FSP is a joke.

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      To the Linux Foundation: Are you TRYING to turn people away from Linux?. Selling garbage like this is a sure-fire way to do it. It upsets me greatly how manufacturers treat Linux as if it can only run low-end equipment with a crippled OS like Trisquel.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X