Phoenix's Hyperspace: Linux-Based Instant-On For Laptops

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Phoenix's Hyperspace: Linux-Based Instant-On For Laptops

Not long after I covered Splashtop, the instant-on Linux-based boot environment that runs from flash memory, it looks like other hardware makers are getting into the same game. Meet Phoenix's Linux-based HyperSpace.
    HyperSpace is a little like Splashtop ... only, on closer inspection, not. Instead of just being an operating environment that's invoked before a formally-installed OS boots, it can be invoked at any time.

If all this sounds like a hypervisor in hardware, you're right -- the name itself should have been a total giveaway, come to think of it. This was probably the next logical step for the way PCs handle an operating system: instead of just booting directly from BIOS into one of several OSes on a given machine, you make the BIOS into a hypervisor and allow OSes to be loaded side-by-side into partitioned memory segments.

When I first saw the title of this I thought to myself 'that's great, I've been looking forward to instant on ever since I moved to SSD' but after reading the story, not quite.

But it did remind me......

Whatever happened with that review of CF cards/CF-IDE adapter here at phoronix?

The BIOS will become extinct (though not in the near future because windows still doesn't boot without it),
    it will be replaced with EFI (or better yet, LinuxBIOS) and Phoenix' license revenue will dry up.
    This announcement is more like a "Look we're still relevant!" cry

Comment

EFI can handle a BIOS emulation as you see on Intel Macs...

Comment

But only so much, as the rest of the BIOS emulation has to be provided "client-side" and that's done with BootCamp in Intel Macs

Comment

Maybe there is a misunderstanding what BootCamp does. Primary the real working part is the BIOS Emulation that has been added to support legacy OS like Win or Linux (you needed a little patch for Grub, but thats known for quite some time). Then it is a frontend to resize the hd, which could be done via commandline too. The last thing that did the older ones was to create an ISO image with drivers for Win - currently this option was removed as the new 10.5 release has a DVD with differnet content for each OS, that means for Win you see the drivers.

Comment

Working...
          X