No announcement yet.

Jolla's Smartphone Launches Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

only reason i don't have one right now is because my N9 started to flake out about a month ago, before a release date for the Jolla Phone had been released, so i buckled and bought a Nexus 5.

fully intend to hop aboard the good ship Jolla when v2 rolls around, though.

Comment

BTW they uploaded videos of how things work.

Jolla, the mobile company from Finland, develops Sailfish OS, the only independent European mobile operating system.

Comment

Originally posted by dee. View Post
        Funny how the first phone from a tiny startup can look so much better than any Android phone ever made. The UI design, graphics, design of the case, it's all miles above any Android phone I've seen. And not to even mention iOS 7, what an eyesore that is...

Also, it runs Wayland! How cool is that?
        You are way, way in the minority on that view.

And what is the exciting thing about running Wayland? I've seen this idea in a few places. It's a piece of completely utilitarian, behind-the-scenes software. I could never figure out the hype.

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
          Interesting. Can you give me a link to the survey that you are obviously referring to? How big was the sample size? You make such certain statements, obviously they have to be backed by facts, right? You wouldn't just be pulling things out of your ass, right?

And what is the exciting thing about running Wayland? I've seen this idea in a few places. It's a piece of completely utilitarian, behind-the-scenes software. I could never figure out the hype.
          It's exciting because it's Wayland. What more is needed? Why get excited about anything? Why get excited that a phone has a quad core cpu, that allows you to post twits on facespace one nanosecond faster? Why get excited because Apple offers their same-old phone with new colours (which other manufacturers have been doing for years)? Why get excited about baseball?

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
            The view is a little hyperbolic; but frankly it's nice to see a new phone outside the iPhone mould (which I've never understood the attraction of), and if the versatility of the "Other Half" is what some of us hope, it could lead to some innovative accessories which no other phone on the market can replicate. I've paid my money, and this is a much a support to the effort put into the product as it is my desire for a new phone. My last N900 has been getting quite worn out with the waiting! ;-)

Much of it revolves around the idea the protocol has been designed to take advantage of modern graphics techniques without the baggage of carrying vestigial legacy requirements. It's a well defined and stable API, both from the point of view of the display server and the client. It can make far better use of what the hardware is capable of, and allows developers and system integrators far more flexibility in UI design and functionality. The hype is about what can potentially be implemented with Wayland, and the Sailfish UX is the first commercial example.
            Last edited by s_j_newbury; 29 November 2013, 07:24 PM. Reason: Broken quoting

Comment

Originally posted by dh04000 View Post
              That is the most non-descript and accurate statement I've ever read. I too want things for reasons.
              You want reasons? here you go
              1. full ripe Linux userspace unlike android
              2. respect to gnu, unlike commercial android
              3. not dumbed down by default unlike android (adblock possible over cellular (where it precisely needed due to ad suckage of expensive traffic), can remove Google forced chrome, can use libreoffice (with Google still ignoring ODF and sleeping with docx))

typing this from galaxy tab 3 2014, so that you know. Android is commercial baby toy, it's not gnu or Linux spirit, but it's a nice toy, unlike microsoft crap.

Comment

Originally posted by brosis View Post
                You want reasons? here you go
                1. full ripe Linux userspace unlike android
                2. respect to gnu, unlike commercial android
                3. not dumbed down by default unlike android (adblock possible over cellular (where it precisely needed due to ad suckage of expensive traffic), can remove Google forced chrome, can use libreoffice (with Google still ignoring ODF and sleeping with docx))

typing this from galaxy tab 3 2014, so that you know. Android is commercial baby toy, it's not gnu or Linux spirit, but it's a nice toy, unlike microsoft crap.
                I didn't want reasons. Read again.

Comment

Working...
                X