Tizen 3.0 To Go 64-Bit, Powered By Wayland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dee. View Post
    Wouldn't be so sure about that. There's already a tablet running Tizen.
    The Tizen tablet is produced by a small manufacturer and only sold in one region (Japan) and only marketed to developers, not users. (That is a typical tactic if your product is so deficient that normal users would instantly return the device.) Which is a disgrace given the size of the other companies involved in Tizen.
    Originally posted by intellivision View Post
    Samsung has delayed the launch of devices repeatedly throughout this year because the software simply isn't ready
    By that logic, Fedora is never getting another release again... delays happen, it's natural for a new technology.
    If they wait too long until release, then the competition will have captured the market. The Fedora example actually applies here; even though their installer still had issues, they decided to release anyway.
    Samsung will probably bring a Tizen phone to the market either in time for christmas shopping, or the next CES in spring.
    Do you have a reference for this, or is this just a guess? The reason that Samsung cited to delay their previous Tizen phone still applies.
    Originally posted by intellivision View Post
    Intel has literally no deployment plans for Tizen on the desktop except 'lets develop it, screw marketing' and has no partners for such a deployment,
    You know this how? They wouldn't necessarily tell it until they can come out with a grand announcement and a product they can show. Again, I bet they'll show something at CES.
    If by CES you mean CES 2012, then you are right: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2398815,00.asp and we all know what came out of that.

When intellivision posts about Intel and other companies not supporting Tizen without giving a reference, you are rightfully skeptical. But on the other hand, you do not apply the same skepticism to the unfounded positive claims that you wrote about.

Comment

Wouldn't be so sure about that. There's already a tablet running Tizen.

Samsung will probably bring a Tizen phone to the market either in time for christmas shopping, or the next CES in spring.
      CES almost always lands in January, that's not Spring.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrecorreia View Post
        intel and samsung continued wast they time in this Os why?

its only me but this is like chrome OS, something bad without purpose!
        This might just be my opinion, but I find an OS designed to fit completely inside a ramdisk image to be interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by chithanh View Post
          The Tizen tablet is produced by a small manufacturer and only sold in one region (Japan) and only marketed to developers, not users. (That is a typical tactic if your product is so deficient that normal users would instantly return the device.) Which is a disgrace given the size of the other companies involved in Tizen.
          Wow, that's a pretty cynical attitude. Developer devices are developed so that developers have devices to test their software on, it makes perfect sense for them to be released before actual consumer devices - after all, consumers expect there to be software available at launch...

What exactly is "deficient" about the Japanese tablet?

Anyway, I only pointed out the tablet to show that there are indeed Tizen devices coming out. The release of a developer platform signals clearly that there's going to be more devices in the future (or that there's at least the intention of bringing more devices in the future).

If they wait too long until release, then the competition will have captured the market. The Fedora example actually applies here; even though their installer still had issues, they decided to release anyway.
          True, but if they release too early, when the software still has bugs, people will get a shitty first impression of the software. See: Ubuntu, Pulseaudio.

And the concern about competition capturing the market probably doesn't apply here. Jolla will not bring their phone out before the end of the year, and they only bring out one phone which isn't sold at all markets, so it's not like it's necessarily in direct competition with Tizen. Android? Samsung is already themselves the biggest seller of Android phones, so there's not really much danger of Android being a competitor to them... Firefox OS is aimed at a different market segment, as it mainly targets low-end phones, so it isn't a concern. And Ubuntu phone is vaporware.

So what competition does Tizen on the mobile have to watch out for?

Do you have a reference for this, or is this just a guess? The reason that Samsung cited to delay their previous Tizen phone still applies.
          If by CES you mean CES 2012, then you are right: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2398815,00.asp and we all know what came out of that.
          We don't really know what happens inside intel. We don't know their reasons for doing things. Personally, I don't really care that much about the phones or tablets, but I hope they will bring out Tizen ultrabooks. Which they've also already demoed.

When intellivision posts about Intel and other companies not supporting Tizen without giving a reference, you are rightfully skeptical. But on the other hand, you do not apply the same skepticism to the unfounded positive claims that you wrote about.
          I don't really make any positive claims. I'm just saying that we don't know what happens inside Intel/Samsung, and both have plenty of incentive to bring out Tizen-based hardware. Do you think they'd be investing all this work and money on Tizen for fun? And don't say they just do it for the IVI, because they also invest in mobile/desktop versions of Tizen...

Comment

Wow, that's a pretty cynical attitude. Developer devices are developed so that developers have devices to test their software on, it makes perfect sense for them to be released before actual consumer devices - after all, consumers expect there to be software available at launch...
            If the developer device had been released at CES 2012, this would have been acceptable. But the device was released literally days before the end of the Tizen App Challenge according to its original schedule. Difficulty in acquiring suitable test devices was repeatedly cited by developers as reason to request a submission deadline extension, and the request was granted less than 48 hours before the end (it was 1 November, now it is 8 December).
            What exactly is "deficient" about the Japanese tablet?
            I don't say that it is deficient, I only note that if it were seriously deficient in any way (usability, performance, battery life, app quality, ...) launching it as developer-only device is precisely what one would expect.
            I don't really make any positive claims.
            You claimed that Samsung "probably" launches a Tizen device before Christmas or at CES.
            I'm just saying that we don't know what happens inside Intel/Samsung, and both have plenty of incentive to bring out Tizen-based hardware. Do you think they'd be investing all this work and money on Tizen for fun? And don't say they just do it for the IVI, because they also invest in mobile/desktop versions of Tizen...
            It's just my impression and I don't have any hard data to back this up, but to me it looks like Intel does not invest heavily in Tizen. A handful of developers maybe, most of which were formerly working on MeeGo apparently. Android and even ChromeOS see much more love from Intel nowadays.

Comment

I don?t even know what Tizen is, but anyway?

Tizen will have its own app store, and there's no reason why app developers wouldn't sell their apps in it.
              Selling one?s application in a new store requires a lot of time and work, unfortunately. So it makes sense to release only on the ones that provide the most financial benefits (sales).

(Ok, looks like Tizen is a smartphone OS based on the comments here.)

Comment

This marks the beginnings of....

... slow, protracted death of iOS and some real Android competition.

Comment

Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
                  Is anyone giving a fuck about Tizen anymore?? I mean we hear about it for ages and not a single product appeared on the market. (except a camera)
                  how do you not get this?

it will be sold by samsung with large high dpi screens, fast hardware, and attractive cases.

it will have identical services and apps to samsung android phones, in fact it will look very similar.

for tens of millions of people who desire a samsung galaxy or galaxy ace, or a galaxy note, the fact that it does not run android will be irrelevant!

and samsung will be laughing.

Comment

Originally posted by Jedibeeftrix View Post
                    how do you not get this?

it will be sold by samsung with large high dpi screens, fast hardware, and attractive cases.

it will have identical services and apps to samsung android phones, in fact it will look very similar.

for tens of millions of people who desire a samsung galaxy or galaxy ace, or a galaxy note, the fact that it does not run android will be irrelevant!

and samsung will be laughing.
                    Until they deliver a phone its vaporware. [troll mode]Not a surprise. It run Enlightenment libraries [/troll mode]

Seriously though. We 've been hearing about it for a long time and haven't delivered much. Jolla for example has made much more progress in delivering a non android linux based phone. And with a team that i believe that is less than the amount of people cleaning the offices in samsung's phone department.

Comment

Originally posted by Jedibeeftrix View Post
                      It depends on the apps. It will always depend on apps support. A Samsung Galaxy is worthless if no apps run on it.

Comment

Working...
                      X