The ASUS "Bay Trail" T100 Is Not Linux Friendly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by crymsonpheonix View Post
    Also, AFAIK Arch and Gentoo are the only two distros with support 32bit UEFI, and both require someone with linux experience to get them working.
    For Gentoo all you need is time and the patience to follow the (excellent) guides. And the will to resist dabbling with all the options you get and to just choose the default ways ☺

Comment

This is really bad advice. Just run a 32bit OS with a 32bit bootloader; it might work to run a 64 bit OS on a 32bit UEFI, but you'll get all sorts of unexpected behavior because you're not supposed to be able to mix and match according to the UEFI spec.

Also, AFAIK Arch and Gentoo are the only two distros with support 32bit UEFI, and both require someone with linux experience to get them working.
      In a land made of gingerbread coated in sweet fruity icing, with liqourice allsorts and theories made of ideas, having a 64-bit UEFI BIOS that can detect a 32-bit bootloader (which has been proven thus far to be the ONLY method) containing the 64-bit kernel and subsequent 64-bit OS should actually be feasible. On that tasty gingerbread surface, anyway. I feel as if I'm mising something deailish, but yeah. Mmmm, lollies.
      Hi

Comment

It has a 32-bit UEFI implementation, and so you'll need a 32-bit UEFI install image. Most distributions don't provide one, because http://mjg59.dreamwidth.org/26734.html

Comment

It's a bad idea anyway to use a 64-bit SO with just 2G of RAM. It would be better with X32, but that's not generally available yet AFAIK

Comment

Originally posted by mcloud View Post
            It's a bad idea anyway to use a 64-bit SO with just 2G of RAM. It would be better with X32, but that's not generally available yet AFAIK
            I was thinking the same thing. 32-bit still has the (ever-shrinking) upper hand with support currently. Yet it does still consume slightly more resources than 32-bit. And on 2GB RAM, you might as well do the 32-bit thing!

Asus must be using recycled code and 'forgot' that Bay Trail is 64-bit. I reckon that's what's happened =D
            Hi

Comment

I can hear ?$ secure boot advocates laughing their arses off now.

Comment

Originally posted by moilami View Post
                I can hear ?$ secure boot advocates laughing their arses off now.
                This has precisely nothing to do with secure boot. Michael tried booting a 64-bit Linux distribution on a system with 32-bit firmware. He'd have exactly the same failure if he tried to boot 64-bit Windows 8.

Comment

This is really bad advice. Just run a 32bit OS with a 32bit bootloader; it might work to run a 64 bit OS on a 32bit UEFI, but you'll get all sorts of unexpected behavior because you're not supposed to be able to mix and match according to the UEFI spec.

Then I supose you can use the EASY Manjaro or any of the Manjaro respins

Comment

Originally posted by mitcoes View Post
                    Then I supose you can use the EASY Manjaro or any of the Manjaro respins
                    Manjaro doesn't ship 32-bit UEFI support.
                    Michael Larabel
                    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

I wonder, in what state will the notebook endup if you'll claim Windows license refund from ASUS.

Comment

Working...
                      X