No announcement yet.

The ASUS "Bay Trail" T100 Is Not Linux Friendly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not a huge loss. Bay Trail sucks and is barely competitive with last year's ARM chips anyway. Now that Intel has given up on supporting Mir, too, and given that Mir is supposed to work with Android drivers and is more optimized for ARM chips, it's better off for Canonical to bet their future on ARM chips anyway (perhaps on Nvidia's Denver/Maxwell chips).

What does suck, though, is Microsoft's very transparent evil way of trying to block Linux from installing on new "Windows machines", even though they say you only have to switch something off to make it work or whatever, but they try to make it as painful as possible to do it.

Comment

Bay Trail is a excellent product, and it has nothing to do with blocking stuff or Microsoft, its just a bios that is only UEFI with lack of MBR bootloader support(something that will be very common from now on, MBR is deprecated stuff) and only support to 32bits UEFI because it ships with 32bits OS and only 2GB, its just Asus playing lazy with the bios, thats all, there is nothing blocking anything. I wish i could say the same about Chromebooks.

We have to wait to see if Android BT devices also allows for USB booting.

Comment

"Thank you" intel for gifting us UEFI. Now use a bad template and make it even worse by giving it to vendors who mess it up even more. Still, only important is to have animations of fans spinning in the "BIOS"setup or even have a 3D-"BIOS"-Setup screen. Oh wow.

I so want back 80x25 text res. The best thing ever for doing jobs like that. Provide a little text-menu, maybe even in 16 colours, give it a good overview over the options and then let the user configure his/her hardware for startup. Save me the spinning fan animations. (Especially on my passively cooled systems )

On another note, well, AMD supports coreboot. Think about it. (Yes, I know that doesn't help a flaky uefi-implementation that comes shipping as firmware on a preassembled notebook but still)
        Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Originally posted by Adarion View Post
          "Thank you" intel for gifting us UEFI. Now use a bad template and make it even worse by giving it to vendors who mess it up even more. Still, only important is to have animations of fans spinning in the "BIOS"setup or even have a 3D-"BIOS"-Setup screen. Oh wow.
          UEFI in and of itself isn't bad. Sure it's not as good as Coreboot, but at least it's not nearly as bad as BIOS. What is bad is motherboard engineers having no idea how to implement it properly.

Comment

fucking uefi and secureboot

God I hate that crap!! But this is by no mean Linux-only. Try to boot Windows 7 on any of this securefucked machines. Turning it off is a pain in the ass. It always boots Windows 8, fuckin microsoft, I bet my ass they pushed this in order to make really hard to get rid of Windows 8
            Last edited by TheScorpion; 29 October 2013, 04:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
              UEFI in and of itself isn't bad. Sure it's not as good as Coreboot, but at least it's not nearly as bad as BIOS. What is bad is motherboard engineers having no idea how to implement it properly.
              UEFI and BIOS are firmware interfaces. Coreboot is a firmware implementation. Coreboot has both BIOS and UEFI implementations.

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
                Well, BIOS did have some odd quirks and limitations. While it would be okay to remove these and add support for new tech stuff it is just ridiculous why that reference implementation had to be as large as the Linux kernel without drivers. I mean, what the heck. Things a little about 256 Kbyte size binary could do is now done in many megabytes?
                Of course mainboard vendors or the "bios" implementers make things normally even worse, that's true.

The main job of this kind of software is just to wake up hardware (which can be complex enough already, just listen to some coreboot talks held on Linux cons), activate interfaces, maybe show the user a little screen with basic system info or an error message and finally give control to a kernel or a bootloader. I'm actually scared to know what else these huge UEFI blobs do.
                Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

There was an article put out quite time ago which stated that Intel themselves made the claim that the initial batch of Bay Trail hardware will run 32-bit Windows 8.1 only, with 64-bit preloaded Windows 8.1 only being available some time next year.

In hindsight, this may have been early warning about the 32bit UEFI firmware + 64-bit processr mismatch that we are experiencing with the T100 right now.

By this logic, the time to get Bay Trail hardware for use with x64 Linux should be when such hardware loaded with x64 Windows start appearing in the market.

(That said, Im curious; have anyone tried to slap on a 32bit Linux distribution to see if it boots on the T100?)

Comment

michael, try to do this. Create a pendrive with gparted, formatting the partition table with gpt, and copy/past form the iso the files on a fat32 partition. it should work just like that.

Comment

Originally posted by sireangelus View Post
                      michael, try to do this. Create a pendrive with gparted, formatting the partition table with gpt, and copy/past form the iso the files on a fat32 partition. it should work just like that.
                      i actually realized that bay trail has no emt64 support on it, so this might actually be a total waste of time trying to boot anything 64bit on it. As the old atoms did, the actual circuitry is there but is disabled/burned.

Edit: apparently according to intel's Ark, i'm wrong. They do have emt64;
                      Last edited by sireangelus; 31 October 2013, 06:13 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X