Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Haswell-Based Chromebooks Unveiled

Phoronix: New Haswell-Based Chromebooks Unveiled

Aside from the Intel Bay Trail unveiling today, exciting news out of the Intel Developer Forum today is a set of new Chromebooks thanks to Google and their partners. Being at IDF, these are Intel-based devices and using the latest-generation Haswell CPUs...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Oh, the Google announcement is that they will be coming in the next few months, so there is nothing much to see here ...

Comment

CROUTON, Michael: you forgot to mention CROUTON

CROUTON - that I think should be installed by default - allows Chrome OS users to install deb packages as MS Skype but also alot of GNU deb packages

Comment

Originally posted by mitcoes View Post
        CROUTON - that I think should be installed by default - allows Chrome OS users to install deb packages as MS Skype but also alot of GNU deb packages
        I couldn't agree more. It also turns it into a steam client. Crouton made my son's chromebook a lot, lot more fun and useful. But it needed a geek to do some work. Crouton should be there by default. Good point, Mitcoes!

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
          ...these are Intel-based devices and using the latest-generation Haswell CPUs...
          When I read that all I could think was "these are going to be expensive".

Comment

???

no point to buying this chromebooks

Comment

I really wish Google would let you run Linux applications on the Chrome OS and not making it almost mandatory to install a second operating system. I realise there's lots of web applications but there sadly not on par with their desktop counterparts.

Comment

Originally posted by Spectre View Post
                I really wish Google would let you run Linux applications on the Chrome OS and not making it almost mandatory to install a second operating system. I realise there's lots of web applications but there sadly not on par with their desktop counterparts.
                This is what Crouton does, see the posts above. But you need to jump lots of hoops (like switching to developer mode, running a script from the command line, and hoping that you don't reboot and accidentally press the space bar, in which case your whole Crouton chroot will get erased, etc)

Comment

Not sexy

They don't look sexy.

Build quality doesn't look great.
                  Ugly Acer/HP/etc logos plastered on them.

Comment

Working...
                  X