Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• System76 Gazelle Pro: A High Performance Linux Laptop

Phoronix: System76 Gazelle Pro: A High Performance Linux Laptop

Over the past several weeks at Phoronix I have been trying out the System76 Gazelle Professional, which has wound up being a nice high performance Linux laptop preloaded with Ubuntu and powered by Intel's latest-generation Core i7 "Haswell" mobile processor...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Another option are clevo laptops where you can pick most components (or switch them later). You can pick Linux friendly WiFi and/or 3G model plus CPU/HDD/Graphics usually too. I have small Clevo W110ER - ultra small and portable, but when connected to a big display - very good to work on (netbook size with Core i7 )

Comment

Originally posted by riklaunim View Post
      Another option are clevo laptops where you can pick most components (or switch them later). You can pick Linux friendly WiFi and/or 3G model plus CPU/HDD/Graphics usually too. I have small Clevo W110ER - ultra small and portable, but when connected to a big display - very good to work on (netbook size with Core i7 )
      How's battery life? Does Clevo and/or the companies that rebrand their products provide extended batteries? Do they sell batteries for old discontinued notebooks for when the capacity of your current battery drops too much.

I guess the same question for System 76.

Comment

Not bad, just wish System76 laptop had better keyboard and a trackpoint. But I admit I find the Galago Ultrapro to be more interesting then the Gazelle Pro.

Comment

Originally posted by mort12 View Post
          How's battery life? Does Clevo and/or the companies that rebrand their products provide extended batteries? Do they sell batteries for old discontinued notebooks for when the capacity of your current battery drops too much.

I guess the same question for System 76.
          Didn't checked how long it lasts on battery. Hardware parts seems to be available from the maker, from old units on ebay etc. As usual probably. The models don't change very often.

Comment

I hope that the positive exposure System76 received from these benchmarks leads them, and other vendors, both small and big alike, to donate or loan more hardware to Phoronix for testing.

Comment

WiFi Tests

Why no WiFi tests? It seems WiFi is just as problematic as graphics on Linux especially when connecting to 802.11n networks. Random disconnects, extremely slow performance, high packet loss, regressions, power management issues, not connection to access points, etc.

I'm sure there are probably issues with 802.11ac on newer cards as well.

Comment

Originally posted by vick View Post
                Why no WiFi tests? It seems WiFi is just as problematic as graphics on Linux especially when connecting to 802.11n networks. Random disconnects, extremely slow performance, high packet loss, regressions, power management issues, not connection to access points, etc.

I'm sure there are probably issues with 802.11ac on newer cards as well.
                System76 laptops usually have intel wireless. I've only used intel wifi on linux so far, and my experience has been fine, just as good as its ever been in windows. The intel 6235 wireless on my system76 lemur ulrta works great. I have a dual band wireless N router and it works fine with both wireless n networks, and I haven't had any access points it wouldn't connect to. My other laptop is an asus that also has intel wireless (6250 I think) and that works great too.

And as someone that does tech support for an ISP, windows can have tons of wireless issues too Buggy drivers are definitely not exclusive to linux.

Comment

Originally posted by bwat47 View Post
                  System76 laptops usually have intel wireless. I've only used intel wifi on linux so far, and my experience has been fine, just as good as its ever been in windows. The intel 6235 wireless on my system76 lemur ulrta works great. I have a dual band wireless N router and it works fine with both wireless n networks, and I haven't had any access points it wouldn't connect to. My other laptop is an asus that also has intel wireless (6250 I think) and that works great too.

And as someone that does tech support for an ISP, windows can have tons of wireless issues too Buggy drivers are definitely not exclusive to linux.
                  WiFi performance is still very important. Not many people use their notebook and not be connected. It would be nice to come up with tests that can be used to compare WiFi chips. Not just Intel. Something like speed variance over a long transfer, peak performance, latency, power, etc.

Not sure why you mentioned Windows. Windows can have tons of graphics issues too. That doesn't stop Phoronix from running performance, power and other benchmarks on GPUs. I know Windows can be buggy but I use Linux so I'm focusing Linux issues.
                  Last edited by vick; 06 September 2013, 11:00 AM.

Comment

HDD encryption

Quick (but REALLY important question to me) - does Gazelle Pro supports hardware disk encryption (ie. can you specify password for sata disk in bios)?
                    I am really tired of using dm-crypt all the time, but since I work us contractor I really need to have my data 100% secured. For me it's a really important thing which is not present in most of laptops, doch.

Great thanks in advance!

Comment

Working...
                    X