Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Allwinner Video Decode Gets Reverse-Engineered

Phoronix: Allwinner Video Decode Gets Reverse-Engineered

The Allwinner A10 and A13 video decode support has been reverse-engineered as open-source...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Sweet. I've got one of these chips (A10) in a 7" tablet that I picked up for cheap. Currently, it's running a rooted Android 4.0.3 install, but I'd gladly swap it over to a pure Linux distro, or newer Android build if that becomes an option at some point. Assuming that Lima + Video works, along with the touch screen, audio, power management, wireless, and everything else

The manufacturer (Skytex, Skypad Alpha 2) has already stated that Android 4.0.3 is the highest that they ever plan on going with this tablet, and there's no official CyanogenMod support..

Comment

Will it benefit the Vivaldi tablet?

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
        Will it benefit the Vivaldi tablet?
        Yes, it will: the Vivaldi tablet will likely use an A20 (successor of A10) EOMA-68 CPU card:

Comment

We are currently investigating A20 but from what we know, the Video Accelerator IP is the same or nearly the same.

As fo CM, there isn't official support, but there's a CM repo somewhere and just yesterday someone stepped up to work on it some more again.

Comment

Great! I might soon be able use my Cubieboard as HTPC. Nice to see that some coders have done something about Allwinners apparent lack of interest in this feature.
            Now lets hope this works out well and that the work can be integrated into XBMC further down the road.

Comment

Yes, yes, yes!!!

This is music for my ears! I have a 7" tablet and I put into it a Debian system. I'm working on a window manager to allow me to work with it without keyboard/mouse, and being able to also watch videos without privative drivers is exactly the final big step!!!!

Comment

That?s nice. I bought an MK802 to play videos but couldn?t because it is stuck in 720p and doesn?t play VP8 correctly. Maybe I?ll be able to use it under Linux one day, finally?

Comment

Working...
                X