• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• phoronix
    started a topic Ubuntu Edge Campaign Set To Close At $12M USD

Ubuntu Edge Campaign Set To Close At $12M USD

Phoronix: Ubuntu Edge Campaign Set To Close At $12M USD

The Ubuntu Edge crowd-sourced smart-phone campaign is set to end tonight, but Canonical is short by twenty million dollars on its crowd-funding campaign and there's been no last minute surprises to push the Ubuntu-powered converged device ahead...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTQ0MTU

• RahulSundaram
    replied
    Originally posted by nll_a View Post
    So it all comes down to these guys thinking that it's best if anyone (including Apple, Microsoft, Google, The Grinch, and Satan) can make their code proprietary rather than the absolutely remote possibility that an open source company (whose only relevance relies on the fact they make open source products) turns that code into proprietary a thousand years from now. Does this seem reasonable and unbiased? Yeah, I don't think so either.
    As I have noted before, free and open source software doesn't discriminate against Microsoft or Satan. If anyone wants to participate, they are able to do so but asymetrical licensing gives a legal exclusiveness to one commercial vendor. That I don't think is fair and Canonical makes both open source and proprietary software. So I don't think they should be allowed a free pass. Nor should Red Hat or SUSE for that matter. P.S: I am just a volunteer. Not a competitior to anyone. Software that I have contributed to is used by Canonical but is not limited to them. I don't have any problem with

Leave a comment:

• nll_a
    replied
    Originally posted by ворот93 View Post
    Did you expect unbiased analysis from Canonical's competitor? :P
    Yeah, how naive of me. =S

Leave a comment:

• ворот93
    replied
    Originally posted by nll_a View Post
    So it all comes down to these guys thinking that it's best if anyone (including Apple, Microsoft, Google, The Grinch, and Satan) can make their code proprietary rather than the absolutely remote possibility that an open source company (whose only relevance relies on the fact they make open source products) turns that code into proprietary a thousand years from now.

Does this seem reasonable and unbiased? Yeah, I don't think so either.
    Did you expect unbiased analysis from Canonical's competitor? :P

Leave a comment:

• nll_a
    replied
    Originally posted by andydread View Post
    Now we all know that any code....any code licensed under MIT can be taken proprietary by ANYONE including Microsoft and Apple and they have done this. Yet we don't see all the bitching about Wayland/Weston is bad because anyone can take the code are redistribute it as proprietary.
    Originally posted by RahulSundaram View Post
    In Wayland, everyone has the right. In Mir, ONLY Canonical has the exclusive right to create a proprietary fork. That is the point.
    So it all comes down to these guys thinking that it's best if anyone (including Apple, Microsoft, Google, The Grinch, and Satan) can make their code proprietary rather than the absolutely remote possibility that an open source company (whose only relevance relies on the fact they make open source products) turns that code into proprietary a thousand years from now.

Does this seem reasonable and unbiased? Yeah, I don't think so either.

Leave a comment:

• danielnez1
    replied
    Originally posted by Honton View Post
    Too bad you haven't learnt to evaluate sources.
    Oh the irony!

Leave a comment:

• chrisb
    replied
    Ohloh... accuracy?

OMG Debian is dying, and Fedora is already dead!!
    Last edited by chrisb; 08-24-2013, 06:36 AM. Reason: ohloh link

Leave a comment:

• danielnez1
    replied
    Are you ready to make a bet?
    I don't gamble, I just deal with facts.

Leave a comment:

• chrisb
    replied
    KDE's Ohloh account is maintained by KDE people. If you disgree with KDE what KDE is, then file a bug.
    This has nothing to do with me disagreeing with KDE people, since KDE people do not say that KDE is only a user desktop. It is a fact: the whole KDE project is more than just a user desktop. In fact, KDE hosts standalone applications that are only there because they use kdelibs.

The goal of the community is to provide basic desktop functions and applications for daily needs as well as tools and documentation for developers to write stand-alone applications for the system. In this regard, the KDE project serves as an umbrella project for many standalone applications and smaller projects that are based on KDE technology.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KDE

There might be some truth to the suggestion that KDE is too big, and there was never a good reason for making many of the applications (eg. a whole IDE) desktop specific or under the KDE umbrella. Nevertheless, it is where it is, and at this stage counting every repository in KDE as one big project is like counting every repository in Github as one big project. If you count all Gnome projects you will have the same problem - eg. Gnucash, Alleyoop etc. are not part of a standard user desktop. Note that there is another potential problem: infrastructure is included in the source tree, so it's not just source, it's also every web site etc. If you really want to do a valid source code comparison for a standard user desktop, then compare what gets installed by gnome-desktop versus kde-desktop. Or compare similar packages, like Kdevelop vs Anjuta. You can't seriously measure LoC without considering functionality. And don't forget: "LOC measure is a terrible way to measure software size, except that all the other ways to measure size are worse."

Leave a comment:

• danielnez1
    replied
    KDE's Ohloh account is maintained by KDE people. If you disgree with KDE what KDE is, then file a bug. No matter how you put it, KDE is dying. Want more data? Go look at KDE's commit digest today. Then go back a year or two. Same trend. KDE is dying.
    As I have said before, the commit digest does not show a decline in commits, but if you would like to show otherwise, then please be my guest, but I'm not holding my breath.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X