Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by chrisb View Post
    iOS is down to 13%
    iOS is trash. I don't mean Android is great, but when compared to iOS it shines almost too brightly. Apple logo can compensate only for so much annoyance and frustration unless you're a die-hard Apple fan.

Comment

Originally posted by prodigy_ View Post
      iOS is trash. I don't mean Android is great, but when compared to iOS it shines almost too brightly. Apple logo can compensate only for so much annoyance and frustration unless you're a die-hard Apple fan.
      I agree. That's all I should say about iOS, because I have nothing nice to say about it.

I was kind of excited at the prospect of my next phone being a merged device, but I'd rather spend $700+ on a new laptop. I suppose I'll start shopping for an Android to replace my 3GS...

Comment

Originally posted by prodigy_ View Post
        Speaking of which we can only assume that UE (if it's ever released) will have "lens" as well. So everyone who tries to help finance UE development now will then be forced to either opt out of that crap (if it'll be at all possible without rooting or otherwise voiding your warranty) or just live with it. Great prospects, aren't they?
        Well, at least it's only 28 days until the warranty voids itself

Comment

Originally posted by blackout23 View Post
          It has been mentioned everywhere. Every tech blog even on tabloid news papers in Germany.
          i'm also sitting in germany and am reading from time to time two other tech blogs. though i still have missed the kickstarter campain for this and so far only read about it here.

i'm not saying it wasn't anounced elsewhere, but it's not that big of a topic that you can't easily miss it if you didn't read about it the day it had a news about it.

Comment

Originally posted by a user View Post
            i'm also sitting in germany and am reading from time to time two other tech blogs. though i still have missed the kickstarter campain for this and so far only read about it here.

i'm not saying it wasn't anounced elsewhere, but it's not that big of a topic that you can't easily miss it if you didn't read about it the day it had a news about it.
            True. The issue is that the number of potential buyers who haven't heard about it decreases with time, not increases (on these time scales). In order for this to work, even if they extended the deadline, would still require that somehow there is a huge block of people, twice as large as the buyers so far, that haven't heard about it, would hear about it next month, and would buy it if they heard about it. This seems highly improbably to me.

Comment

Originally posted by erendorn View Post
              Try reading the post again.
              If it were competitive to android phones (in quality, marketing, market awareness, manufacturer capabilities and app support), it would have made much more than 30M.
              It wasn't, has never been, has never even been intended to.

Hence, the target has always been "enthusiasts, geeks, developers, fans and open source software advocates" (or, differently said, people that know the name "Ubuntu"). So Android performance is irrelevant, because it was never supposed to get support from people decided to buy an Android (or an iPhone).
              If Android performance is irrelevant, then why does the Indiegogo page start with a comparison table vs the Galaxy S4? People don't generally carry around two phones with them - so to be a success, a new phone has to displace existing phones.

And I suppose all of these enthusiasts who are angry with Canonical would sign up to buy a future $695 phone running Wayland? No, thought not.

Comment

Originally posted by LinuxGamer View Post
                well i don't know what to really make of it

"Shuttleworth won't lose any sleep over it. He told CNet that "Tripling the crowdfunding record is always a super-ambitious goal." But, "It's also clear that this work is ancillary to the broader mission of bringing Ubuntu to the market."

http://www.zdnet.com/canonical-will-...on-7000019241/
                So what? - the writer of the article thinks Canonical wins regardless. <yet there is absolutely nothing to support that claim>... It doesn't change the fact that Mark/Canonical went through the design process, fabrication process, prototyping, etc - which is more work, time, etc than just launching a PR/Ad Campaign... As far as Shuttleworth's "not losing sleep". No surprise there, since he's a multi-millionaire who is probably just sick of dumping his own money into failed Ubuntu projects (over the last 8 years)... but Mark probably isn't losing much sleep, in general.

Mark's last comment (that you quoted) was an interesting choice of words, but that's about it. After years and years of listening to MS talk out of his ass, i don't put much stock in what he has to say. (generally, it's buzzwords, bullsh*t and claiming credit for things, he has little to do with).
                Last edited by ninez; 20 August 2013, 09:57 PM.

Comment

If Android performance is irrelevant, then why does the Indiegogo page start with a comparison table vs the Galaxy S4? People don't generally carry around two phones with them - so to be a success, a new phone has to displace existing phones.

And I suppose all of these enthusiasts who are angry with Canonical would sign up to buy a future $695 phone running Wayland? No, thought not.
                  The comparison with Galaxy S4 is for an obvious reason: they stated they wanted high class hardware. Ubuntu Edge is supposed to have such hardware (high class for a phone) because it's meant to go with their convergence idea, which in turn means you need something as powerful as a PC.

Originally posted by TheBlackCat View Post
                  True. The issue is that the number of potential buyers who haven't heard about it decreases with time, not increases (on these time scales). In order for this to work, even if they extended the deadline, would still require that somehow there is a huge block of people, twice as large as the buyers so far, that haven't heard about it, would hear about it next month, and would buy it if they heard about it. This seems highly improbably to me.
                  To further follow this logic path, as time passes, they get fewer attention from mainstream media (it's not as shocking now as it was day zero, when it broke records and such). This means there's less chance a random person who didn't hear about it before will hear about it now.

Comment

No, not all of them, just like not all of Ubuntu users are doing it. But there's the portion of users willing to pay that much for a developer phone, and that's what we're looking at here.

And it's not just about Wayland. The poor way the dash ads were handled, the way Unity was released (personally, I have nothing against Unity as such, it's just another UI, but many people disliked and still dislike it, and the first version in 11.04 was buggy as hell, making a terrible first impression), the way Pulseaudio was released... it's a long chain of bad decisions, but I think many of those could have been forgiven - the really bad ones started from the dash adware, which was what broke the camels back for many, and Mir was just shitty icing on the turd cake after that.

But yeah, a Wayland phone would probably be hella popular. Too bad no one's making one so we'll never know... oh wait. http://phoronix.com/forums/showthrea...red-By-Wayland

Comment

Originally posted by dee. View Post
                      But yeah, a Wayland phone would probably be hella popular. Too bad no one's making one so we'll never know... oh wait. http://phoronix.com/forums/showthrea...red-By-Wayland
                      hella popular, huh? How many have they sold...?

Comment

Working...
                      X